Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Emergency kits
Emergency kits
Health related
Feb 23 2017
08:38:08 PM
Just out of curiosity and maybe discussion purposes...

Do you have an emergency kit?

If yes, what is in it?

If no, why not?
Health related
Feb 24 2017
06:56:13 AM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
I actually clicked on this thinking you would tell me what to have lol

I have vetericyn and pumpkin baby food
Two emergency cages
Syringes

I was just thinking I could probably make an e collar with stuff around the house, and I've read how to make one a long time ago, but would appreciate a refresher.
Health related
Feb 24 2017
07:43:50 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
well I thought about going that route but why make it that easy ?? I know why you have the pumpkin but it isn't necessary, if the glider is constipated or has runny poo the cause of either issue needs to be addressed other wise it's just going to happen again. Usually either of those issues are food related and easily fixed by adjusting what your feeding. Constipation and runny poo are booth symptoms of something else so giving pumpkin is only treating a symptom not fixing the problem that created the symptom.

ok Emergency kit

*** Spare cage, it doesn't have to be big, in fact for hospital cages we prefer small cages. Check bar spacing no bigger than a half inch and doors should preferably swing out not slide up and down.

** Vetericyn Vf formula in the white bottle. There are different kinds of vetericyn the white bottle vf formula is the best, but in a pinch the blue gel skin and wound care will do and can be found locally. If you are just building your ER kit and don't need it immediately get the VF. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006UJGZNG?tag=amz-mkt-chr-us-20&ascsubtag=1ba00-01000-org00-win70-other-smile-us000-pcomp-feature-scomp-wm-4&pldnSite=1

What it's used for....... everything. Facial wounds and scratches, neck wounds, any cuts or scrapes or open wound. It is safe to spray directly on eyes and is safe to ingest. If you buy nothing else at least buy this.

** Nail clippers, an extra pair in case nail is caught or snagged and you can't find your normal pair.

** Orange gaterade. IF a glider is dehydrated mix orange gaterade 5050 with water.

** needless syringes for hand feeding or getting fluids in a dehydrated glider

** fleece squares, keeping the glider warm if it's cold and dehydrated, or to handle the glider should it need a bath, yes sometimes gliders require medical hydro therapy ( baths )

** cotton balls to apply ointments or topical medicaation, also used to check safety of toys and cages for any sharp edges that may have caused an injury.

** Neosporin no pain relief, sometimes used for neck wounds or injuries on the nose.

** small container of corn starch or baking flour, stops bleeding if you cut a nail to short and hit the quick.

** seem ripper for sewing, yep seem ripper, safely cut a thread wrapped around a toe or foot.

** duct tape, yep duct tape for securing e collars. Some satelite e collars have snaps on them but home made collars don't and you want something to keep that collar on.

** Mole foam, for making e collars.

** E collars, read up on them. There are 3 different kinds typically we mainly use two shot glass style and satelite. Depending on the issue determines which to use. Shot glass style is good for most things especially tail injuries.

** bird water silo's, if you ever do have to use an e collar they need a way to eat and drink on their own. Water silo troughs fit right in the cone of the e collar making it easy for the glider to eat and drink.

http://gliderhealth.com/slfmutl/ecollar.html shot glass e collar instructions

You may never need an e collar but IF YOU DO they are better to have already made before the emergency happens. Also practice putting it on a glider. It's not as easy as you think, especially in an emergency situation. Once the collar is on and secure put your fingers in the cone opening and pull some of the neck skin forward towards the gliders nose this will help keep the collar on and be more comfortable for the glider. We generally let the glider do it's best to get the collar off for about a half hour before we are confident it is on and staying on. If it comes off ( and it will ) put it on again. The glider won't be happy, it will try relentlessly to get it off, it may crab a lot that is a good sign the collar is on good so don't panic if the glider crabs and don't loosen the collar!

We have gotten pretty creative making emergency e collars without having all the supplies, we have had to improvise but the supplies listed on the link make a better more secure e collar so at least get the basics and try to make one to have on hand.

In the very least buy some mole foam and duct tape! the rest can be substituted quite easily.

The temp cage and vetericyn are probably the two most expensive items that are a necessity if you have 2 or more gliders. The rest is pretty inexpensive pick up a little at a time.

There are places that sell Emergency kits but it is just as economical to build your own. If I think of anything else I'll add on and of course feel free to add in other things you may have in your ER kits!

Edited by - Leela on Feb 24 2017 07:53:46 AM
Health related
Feb 24 2017
08:27:14 AM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
I have everything except the mole foam and Gatorade...but Gatorade is already on the shopping list lol.
Health related
Feb 24 2017
06:17:12 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
Geese, I have two kits, one large one that came with my Ollie boy and a travel-size one that I carry in a go-bag.

I'll be back to list the items included in both later, sorry it's just not convenient time to do it right now.
Health related
Feb 24 2017
07:01:14 PM
As promised:

The first aid kit that came with my Ollie contains:
Box of corn starch
Reusable cold/hot pack
Cotton swabs
Rolled Gauze
Neosporin
Roll of Duck tape
Bottle of vitamin E
2 5mm syringes
Tweezers
Nail clippers

I am not sure about why all of these particular items were included in the kit, but I've kept it in tact as is. I had already prepared an emergency kit for my gliders that is contained in a pencil pouch and I keep in a grab-to-go bag.

The E-kit in Grab-to-go bag:
Sterile gauze pads
Emery board
Vial of sterile saline solution
e-coller
2 feeding tips
1cc syringe
3cc syringe
2" vet wrap
min-water bottle
hot/cold compress
2 oz vetericn

In the grab-to-go bag I also carry two extra sleeping pouches,extra fleece blankies, extra bonding bag and a sugar glider book plus a book of notes on my gliders. A list of vets, but the current list is from AZ, I never updated it for MD because I knew where the vets were here in MD.

I think I'll add the tweezers and nail clippers to the travel size kit.

Health related
Feb 25 2017
10:11:05 AM
Here is a useful link offering lots of options to start a E-Kit. It even as a PDF link for items in the E-Supply Kit.

SpinZone Global
Health related
Feb 26 2017
01:45:17 PM
PipersGlider Glider Visit PipersGlider's Photo Album USA 50 Posts
Very glad you posted this it's very helpful and a great idea.
Thank you
Emergency kits

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Emergency kits