Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Type of Glider Question
Type of Glider Question
Question
Feb 23 2017
11:56:57 PM
Hello, My question is what makes a 100% leuistic glider ?
I am new to understanding this all so please it in simple terms. my new baby glider I was told she is a white 100% Leucistic.
What does that mean ?

Lily my almost 14 week glider I found out is a white mosic what does that mean also thank you
Question
Feb 24 2017
06:45:11 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
genetics stuff is not my strongest area but I'll try. 100% leu means that particular glider has no hets for any for any other color variation. Leu is a recessive gene so it needs to be paired with another glider with the same recessive gene to produce a leu joey.

hets are color variations that haven't presented physically but are in the family tree. So you can have a mosaic with leu hets, it looks like a mosaic but one of the parents looks like and is a leu. the hets kind of explain what the parents are and the off spring of those parents inherit part of those genes even if the fur color doesn't look like either of the parents.

Ok so if you see an ad like this
Sweet little Platinum Sugar Glider
100%leu het
50%cremeino het
Oop 01-16-2017

This means both parents had the same leu recessive gene so the joey got 50% from one and 50% from the other, and one of the parents was a creamino so the joey got half of that parents creamino het. The joey itself is a platnum, so it's a proven Plat with 100% leu het and 50% creamino het. Remember hets are colors that aren't showing.

I have a Plat joey from a 100% leu female and White face blonde with proven Plat hets proven because his joey is a plat, that is what proved out means.

A mosaic will have white feet, and at least one white whisker if not all white whiskers near it's nose. They kind of have a marbled look and can Powder out as the get older that means the glider may start out with dark grey fur in places but over time that fur gets lighter and lighter. A white mo is a variation of mosaics, like a sub category.

These are very general, basic descriptions and explanations. If your looking for more information check out color variations here http://www.glidernursery.com/colors-and-descriptions.html

For more indepth genetic stuff try the breeding 101 group Im sure they can explain it much better than I can especially since I'm pre coffee https://www.facebook.com/groups/breeding101/

Edited by - Leela on Feb 24 2017 06:49:29 AM
Question
Feb 24 2017
01:45:35 PM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
euh, Leela, are you sure of your example?
To me 100% Leu het implies that one of the parent was Leu, so that it is 100% sure that the joey is carrying the Leu gene.
If both parents are Leu het, then the joey (if not leu) would be called 50% Leu het because there is 1 chance on 2 that he/she carries Leu gene, but also 50% chances that he doesn't carry it.
Question
Feb 24 2017
01:50:53 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
no I'm absolutely not sure, genetics isn't my strong suite and I was typing without my notes and before I had coffee. My memory of that conversation about hets might not be completely accurate

Edited by - Leela on Feb 24 2017 01:51:24 PM
Question
Feb 24 2017
01:58:28 PM
NyxandBenny Glider Visit NyxandBenny's Photo Album AB, CA 166 Posts
It's easier just to look up heterogeneous gene dagrams although it becomes very confusing very quickly unless you payed very close attention in high school biology. It will give you a better idea. It's basically statistics and chance.
Question
Feb 24 2017
02:04:06 PM
http://www.glidernursery.com/percent-het-chart.html This explains better what het is and how it is figured out.
Question
Feb 24 2017
02:29:35 PM
Also if you go to the breeding 101 group, type het in the search bar everything pertaining to het's in posts will come up. There is a lot of good info there with links or pics of lineage to help it make more sense. Read the comments on those posts asking about hets.
Question
Feb 26 2017
02:37:15 PM
PipersGlider Glider Visit PipersGlider's Photo Album USA 50 Posts
Thank you all for the information it helped me to understand it better, I really love learning about them, there are so many varietys and I really like them all I wish I could have one from color but I can't it would be way to much for me, Thank goodness there are people like you all who care about the gliders.
Type of Glider Question

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Type of Glider Question