Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Bonding
Bonding
Question
Feb 25 2017
08:46:08 PM
So I've had Balou and Spaz since Oct 2016, so we're almost into 6 months! I do feel like they're bonded to me.
Balou is more of my lazy baby, he doesn't eat as much or explore as much (unless Spaz gets him excited outside of the cage), but he mainly stays on me when he's outside of his cage.
Spaz enjoys running around and exploring, he'll crawl on me when I'm walking around or groom me sometimes, but he's an independent spirit.
My question is mainly for people who have had their gliders for a year or more, or even longer than me in general. I'm open to all opinions. Is it possible that they will become even more bonded to me? I'd love for them to become cuddly and to let me kind of do whatever with them. I've seen videos of people's gliders who just chill on their backs in someone's hands while getting a tummy rub or being a bra baby, etc. I REALLY want my loves to get there. I'll still love them just as much regardless, but any tips on getting them there? I considered taking them out of their cage individually.
Just curious! Thanks guys
Question
Feb 25 2017
11:24:01 PM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
I adopted my first sugar glider 14 months ago. Our relationship has grown and changed so much and I do believe your gliders will continue to bond to you as well. The more time you spend with them will help strengthen your bond and increase their trust. I also feel that, like kids, gliders benefit from one on one time so spending time with them individually will benefit all of you. Sounds like you're doing a great job!
Question
Feb 26 2017
08:06:23 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
"bonding" is just an easy go to term for building a relationship with your gliders.
Just like a friendship with a human, it will continue to grow over time. I don't believe it ever stops.

My 9 gliders are "bonded" to me, but no two are bonded the same. Every glider I have is at a different level. I know each of their personalities, and what to anticipate with each individual. I think it's important to understand them AS individuals and where you are at with that one glider.

Out of my 9, I have 4 rescues 3 gifted to me 1 I bought and one joey born here.

ages range from 13 weeks oop, 1 yr old, 2 yr old, 3 yr olds, 4 yr old, 7 yr old.

I've gotten joeys and older gliders, neither is easier or harder to bond with than the other.

one was "bonded" in 2 weeks, another took over a year. I have some that won't leave my body, and some that will absolutely jump off and go explore or return to their cage.

I have 3 cages that consist of

1 neutered male
3 females

1 neutered male
2 females

1 intact male
1 female with a potential joey in pouch.

Each cage is set up according to the gliders in that cage. Some are playful and have more toys, some are sensitive to even minor cage changes, some don't play or use the wheel at all.

The more I learn about each glider in the cage the more I can customize the cage for those gliders needs.

One thing I don't do is have goals for them. I don't have any expectations of them, I have no time frame or time limit. Each of them progress at their own speed and ANY progress is celebrated even if I already consider that glider to be "bonded" there are always new heights relationships will go. There are also set backs.

For a long time people that could just reach into a pouch and pull a glider out was astounding to me. Seeing pics of gliders sleeping in someones hand baffled me. It made me feel inadequate. What I didn't know was how much time and effort it took for them to get to that point. How many pics were taken to get that ONE pic of the glider in the hand... how many times that person got bitten or how long they've had their glider.

Now, I have maybe 3 gliders I can reach in and pull out of a pouch without suffering a bite. I have 1 maybe two that are comfortable enough to sleep in my hand if I don't move for hours I don't gauge where I'm at by other peoples milestones. I gauge where I'm at by that one individual gliders milestones and what that glider trusts me to do.

Confidence is key, have confidence in your self that allows the gliders to be confident IN you.

Bonding

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Bonding