Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Nail clipping
Nail clipping
Information
Mar 01 2017
12:19:33 AM
I've always had someone help me clip my gliders nails but now it's up to me to get the job done. They're pretty long now so it really can't wait any longer. I'm just looking for advice and tips on how to trim nails in the best, least stressful way. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Information
Mar 01 2017
07:09:37 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Nail trimmings can be intimidating, it was for me for a longgg time. But it is one of those things that needs to be done for the safety of the gliders. So here's some things that make it easier to tackle.

The first is confidence. Before you even start you need to be calm and build up your confidence.

The second is tools. For me, I can't trim nails without the following tools. Slanted clippers, magnifying glasses, and a LED forehead light a pouch large enough to get my hands in with a wide top. These tools aid in a couple different ways for me. I can't see their nails, or the quick with out the glasses so that made me a nervous wreck that I would clip to far or even get skin or the top of the toe, the glasses changed allll that, I can see everything which also made me more confident, allowing the gliders to be more confident IN me.

The LED forehead light, also helps me see, my house is kind of dark, my pouches are usually dark, that didn't make for great visibility. The forehead light is hands free and can be tilted down to direct the light where I need it. It also helps to keep the gliders in the pouch because it's so bright.

Slanted nail clippers, for me are the most comfortable in my hand and I don't drop them as much as larger handled clippers. They are angled and able to get even the most curled over grown nails trimmed.

The pouch, I like a large pouch but some prefer small ones, I like wide open tops. I put one glider in at a time with a few mealies or that gliders fav treat, pick up a foot and use the fabric around the top of the pouch to cover the glider and hold them where I need them. When I'm done with that foot rub it gently and release it open the pouch and get another foot.

I usually start with the two back feet cause their butts are close to the opening when they first enter the pouch and their heads are down at the bottom of the pouch. But for the first few times you may want to focus on the gliders worst nails first, which ever ones are getting snagged the most.

On the back feet you really only need to trim two nails, on the toe that looks fused together are two very long skinny nails, those are grooming nails and usually don't require trimming.

It's always good to have a small container of either cornstarch or all purpose flour on hand, if you do happen to clip to far and it bleeds, both of these will stop the bleeding. It will happen at some point, in 3 yrs or so it's happened to me once and I felt horrible, but the glider was just fine.

Lastly, figure out what works best for you and your gliders. Utilize all the advice from everyone and try them to see what works best for you.

When you get frustrated, stop, pause, breathe. You don't have to get them all done in one sitting. Do a foot at a time or even 2 nails at a time then take a break if it's stressing you or the glider. Build up to doing them all in one sitting.

Edited by - Leela on Mar 01 2017 07:13:00 AM
Information
Mar 01 2017
12:24:07 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
I've always had to trim my glider's nails by myself. It was scary at first, so I eased us all into for my first pair, then did the same with my boy. He is still not entirely with the program, but I manage to get him done using various techniques.

First, always have the tools you need on hand.
These work for me:
1 lay out a folded piece of fleece to double onto my desk top.
2 have lamp (goose neck type or directional works best for me).
3 use my readers, but I like Leela's magnifying glasses, I'll look into those.
4 lay out on one side: nail trimmers(slant tip), emery board, slant tip cuticle
trimmers (in case I want to use them), and a small container of corn starch.
5 I also lay out the container of freeze dried Camillies Meallies and a dish to
feed them from (small glass tea light holder).
6 some toilet tissue or kleenx handy for poo & pee, cause it happens
7 a small/med sized pouch that came with my nail trip kit

Second, I get my gliders out while they're in their sleeping pouch and place them in the canvas carrier (where I put them for nail trims and cage cleaning). I like to have them all contained together. I place a clean pouch in their cage prior to returning them as I get their nails done. (on nail trim days I clean their cage first, usually a light cleaning that week).

1 starting with Ollie, because he's the most difficult, my girls are easy.
I begin with the normal routine I developed with the girls. Simply
offering them the dish of meallies. As they eat, I pick up their feet and
begin trimming nails. The girls will also allow me to file with the emery
board,but I don't push it with Ollie just yet.

2 usually end up using the nail trim pouch or rolling (burrito style) him up
in my flannel shirt or fleece jacket I'm wearing to finish him. He's a
feisty one and will try to climb up me to run to my back where I can't reach
him. If I place him in the pouch I fold it over and hold him firmly in
place, then reach for a limb and hope it's one I didn't get to already or
finished. I pull it out and trim the best I can, giving him breaks in
between and offering meallies by hand. He takes a while.

How I worked into nail trims was following above, having everything set out and ready to trim.
Instead, while they eat their wormies, I pick up each foot, gradually handling them more and more, eventually rubbing their toes gently. This prepares us all for handling their feet and builds confidence in myself. I do not have to do this with the girls, but I still do this a little prior to trimming Ollies, not too long.

Information
Mar 04 2017
02:43:53 AM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
Thank you both so much! I really appreciate all your suggestions and tips!
Information
Mar 04 2017
04:33:03 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
for the wife and I it has always been a 2 person job.
she has cut our most bonded gliders nails without my help.
so as for one person cutting I would say have lots of mealworms ready and good luck.
Information
Mar 04 2017
05:10:31 PM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
Thank you
Nail clipping

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Nail clipping