Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Bonding Progress
Bonding Progress
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 09 2017
12:27:03 AM
We have had Meep for two and a half weeks now and have had major progress with him. We don't know his background but one thing is for certain. He didn't get the attention he deserved. Night before last, he jumped into my hand voluntarily then jumped right back out of it..and was investigating the possibility of climbing up my arm. Nibbles were involved - I'm thinking this was him testing the waters to see what I'd do.

Last night, the cats were watching him run around and play on the couch. Leia is the more gentle of the two of them and the more stand-offish. She was poking him with her paw ever so gently, trying to get him to play with her. She sniffed him a couple times and he didn't even flinch. Meep seems to enjoy terrorizing Luke a little more, though. Luke was feral as a kitten so is a little more jumpy. Meep had jumped on Luke's back, spooked him and Luke hastily departed down the hallway. Meep jumped off before Luke left the couch and sat there looking proud of himself. Once the panic subsided from thinking Meep was going to be riding Luke around the house and I'd be chasing him all night (a la Benny hill,) it was quite hilarious.

Tonight was the best, though. I pulled Meep out at the usual time. He sleeps for another hour in his hammock (I pull the whole thing out and then set him down next to me with my favorite blanket over us) then will get up and play. Tonight was routine as normal..until about an hour later. He let me scoop his little furry butt up, still wrapped in his little blankie, and snuggle him against my chest, cupped in one hand. We sat there for another hour, watching netflix. He was awake the entire time. Every so often he would peek out at me for a moment, then he would resume burrowing his head. At one point he made a noise that sounded like teeth chattering, which concerned me, but a quick search revealed the possible meanings of the sound. I had him tucked into my tank top when I got up to put him back in his cage. Once again, he let me pick him up.

Two and a half weeks ago, he would have hissed and drawn blood.

Tonight, I go to bed a thrilled new suggie mommy.
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 10 2017
08:13:03 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
Yay!!! What a huge progress, and I know the joy that brings, congratulations!!! You're lucky to have such a love bug, mine have been with me for much longer and do not tolerate that much handling, lol.

Please do be careful with the cats though, it could be a fatal outcome for Meep, even if unintentional scratch or nip.
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 11 2017
01:12:56 AM
wildfire0135 Joey Visit wildfire0135's Photo Album 20 Posts
Oh trust me, I watch them like a hawk. If I wasn't so familiar with the cats, they wouldn't be near him. It helps knowing mannerisms when introducing new babies. I've also taught both of them the meaning of "gentle" and "be nice". Leia is always so delicate, afraid of hurting anything. Luke can be a butthead, he's the only one I'm concerned about. He's still a youngin' and crazy to boot..but I know that look he gets when the wheels are turning. He's easily read.

We had more progress last night as well. He snuggled in the nook of my elbow with his blankie and was grooming my forearm and doing the clicking noise again.

This morning, he was cranky. I'd say his name, he'd crab. Someone was up late playing with his new toys. Tonight, he dozed most of the time he was out. He moved quite a bit, but he wasn't interested in playing. I think he spent more time playing while I was at work..his toys had moved from where they were when I left.

He's not going to know what to do with himself when he gets even more toys tomorrow..teehee.
Bonding Progress

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Bonding Progress