Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Dahlias fruit mixes
Dahlias fruit mixes
Food, Diet
Mar 12 2017
04:04:30 PM
So I was going to message Dahlias and ask..but the last post was back in 2011. Is there anyone that feeds Dahlias mixes for fruits and veggies to their fuzzybutts? I started cutting my fruit up and then realized there's measure and units..under measure (for papaya for example) it says 4..but under units it says 1 cup. I'm not sure if I should take this as 4 cups of papaya..or if the measure just doesn't matter.

Thoughts?
Food, Diet
Mar 12 2017
08:33:06 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
I'm sorry, but I've not heard of Dahlias, what diet are you using? Where did you find out about it?
Food, Diet
Mar 12 2017
08:54:45 PM
wildfire0135 Joey Visit wildfire0135's Photo Album 20 Posts
It's in the diet list on this site. They have like 4 or 5 veggie mixes and 5 for fruit..but I think I figured it out!

www.sugarglider.com/nutrition/

Food, Diet
Mar 12 2017
11:27:23 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
http://www.sugarglider.com/glidergossip/topic.asp?whichpage=1&TOPIC_ID=58774#471238

It's late and I don't feel like retyping all the info, please read the above link regarding Dahlia's diet...

Dahlia's diet hasn't been used in some time, The creator of the diet hasn't even owned gliders for about the last 10 years.

When she did use this diet, she also fed live chicks, and other proteins that most people do not and will not feed.

The diet/partial recipe that is posted on here is NOT the complete diet that she fed and is not considered a balanced diet. When the creator went to address the issues with this diet she ended up making bml after all the corrections were made, so this diet was pretty much dropped because Bml was already created and being widely used.

I wouldn't feed Dahlia's diet to my gliders, it was pretty much mainly used by the creator for her personal gliders that she not only fed differently but housed the gliders differently than most other glider owners do. She made their living environment as natural as possible, she had flora and plant life that was native to the gliders, fed live chicks and lots of other things that aren't mentioned in the recipe on here...

If you should decided to use this recipe anyway, be advised, there aren't many people in the community that have even heard of this diet and you won't get much in the way of good advice when you have questions about it.

Edited by - Leela on Mar 12 2017 11:44:17 PM
Food, Diet
Mar 13 2017
12:42:52 AM
Well that is quite a nuisance. I had already dropped the money on everything (meh, whatever, he would have eaten it anyway,) and spent a few hours prepping everything. I prepped his OHPW based on the pampered gliders recipe..his fruit he should be okay with, I went with the papaya/pineapple/peach/honeydew mix and froze it. He tends to ignore veggies unless it's celery so I guess we will find out if he eats the smoothie-looking stuff I made.

I'll just need to supplement his diet with additional protein I imagine until I figure something else out.

This little guy really just kind of fell in my lap. I'd done some research in the interest of getting one later, so now we're at the point we are learning as we go.
Food, Diet
Mar 13 2017
08:20:39 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
hate to be more of a nuisance but blended fruit and veg into smoothies is not a good method either.

This forces gliders to eat insoluble fiber that they don't normally eat which can cause constipation and intestinal blockage, that is difficult and can be expensive to treat.

Ohpw usually uses fruit n veg "salads" chopped not pureed, there are recipes for them on the critter love site. http://www.critterlove.com/diet-info.html

If your going to feed Ohpw, you don't need any additional protein or supplements everything that is needed is in the recipe.

Are you in the states or another country ?
Food, Diet
Mar 13 2017
11:34:41 AM
His fruit is diced up into a salad, the veggies were the only thing that got blended. I have no problem with him eating the fruit, I've learned in two weeks he's very much a toddler. Eats the sweet stuff and not his veggies. I offered him cucumber last night when I was prepping everything..he licked it a couple times then snubbed it. I'm thinking his veggies will be hit or miss.

I'll check their list againet what I already have and go from there.

I'm in the US, down in Florida.
Food, Diet
Mar 13 2017
12:00:23 PM
I'm just east of Tampa in Dover, I think we spoke briefly before on a different thread

Edited by - Leela on Mar 13 2017 12:02:19 PM
Food, Diet
Mar 13 2017
12:23:27 PM
We did. We are going to try to be out that way for the glider event in september.

Some of the stuff for those salads I already have, so just need to get a couple missing things..and a kitchen scale.

Having blueberries in the house is going to suck. Allergic to them but LOVE them. The things I'm doing for this little guy!

On the upside I now have a blender for smoothies for me.....or margaritas.
Dahlias fruit mixes

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Dahlias fruit mixes