Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Pocket Pets Cages
Pocket Pets Cages
Health related
Mar 12 2017
07:42:02 PM
Hello I am wondering if those Pocket Pet cages are safe for my babies.
My gliders will not eat or drink right now and they are looking very pitiful.
I am worried about my babies, the only thing I've caged in there lives was their cage sense they were in a smaller bird cage when I got them.
They are very sick at the moment and I was wondering if the cage could be the issue. When I was going to get them out for playtime this mourning and they didn't come I just guessed they were sleepy and left them in their pouch. My daughter wanted to see them so she gotten their pouch a few hours after and they didn't look well at all. I thought sense they didn't eat and their fur was oily maybe they were dehydrated and possibly were going through hypocalcemia I fed them sugar water and they eaten that but they are still not better. I put them in there travel cage not made by pocket pets until I figure out the issue. If anyone knows anything please let me know. Thank you.
Health related
Mar 12 2017
08:19:40 PM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
My babies lived in PP cages for 3 years, I didn't know they were too small. The cages are safe, though.

Sounds like your gliders need to see a vet right away.
Health related
Mar 12 2017
10:08:23 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
I agree, i still use pp cage for emergencies but not for living as it is small.
haven't heard of a problem with them other then small.
and sounds like a vet visit is needed if you think they are that sick.
Health related
Mar 13 2017
03:19:52 PM
SugarGliderMadness Starting Member 2 Posts
I did some research and they have PVC Poisoning from the cage.
It was a PVC coated cage, probably an old model from Pocket Pets.
This is actually the reason cage was discontinued, ANOTHER reason to not trust Pocket Pets...

I am keeping them on Nutra Drops and I've removed them from their dreadful cage. I've given them a warm wet wipe bath then dried them off and they are doing much better. I hope to see a full recovery soon.
Health related
Mar 13 2017
03:43:23 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
PP didn't actually make the cages that were found to be toxic. The wire for the cage toxic cages came from I think 2 different companies... PP did their best to replace all the gliders that were lost due to the cage toxicity and was the ONLY one actively doing any testing on the wire to find out what the problem was and who the source was, then spent tens of thousands of dollars to investigate and test the cages to find the source, On their own accord, they didn't have to do any of that.

IF you got your hands on an old cage that was toxic, or someone with the toxic wire made a new cage with it and sold it an you ended up with it, it could be the issue. If the cage came from PP and it's new I would contact them and ask them if there is any new issues.

If you'd like more information about the toxic wire and cages there are a couple people you talk to that aren't PP people, https://www.facebook.com/bourbonh
https://www.facebook.com/peggy.h.brewer
https://www.facebook.com/shelly.sterk.39

All three are very knowledgeable about the toxic cage issue and what companies were involved.

Also keep in mind, if the cage isn't brand spanking new, maybe someone repainted it with toxic paint or used something unsafe to mend the cage before giving it or selling it to you.

There are other things that can also make gliders ill and other factors that haven't been asked or mentioned. I work with a lot of medical cases and I can tell you there are many things that can affect gliders health and no stone should be left unturned until the source is figured out, and sometimes we never do pinpoint the source. But please, look at more than just the cage.

what are nutra drops ? where did you get them ?
What do you use to clean the cage?
what do you use to wash your fleece items with?
what detergent fabric softener dryer sheets do you use
do you use any essential oils
do you use aerosol sprays of any kind
Do you use a "non toxic" cleaner deodorizer of any kind, any thing doesn't require being rinsed off
does the cage have good air ventilation is it covered with anything or in a cubby hole or have walls on both sides of it
Do you put any kind of pet products or oils on the gliders, any shampoos etc
what do you feed?
if you feed pellets how are they stored?
do you feed crickets?
have the gliders had a wellness exam and fecals done?

I could keep going and and some of your answers may produce more questions. if you want help with this I'd be happy to make a team and try to help figure it out. If your interested in that Please friend me on facebook it's easier to get responses there and the other team members are not on this site.

Edited by - Leela on Mar 13 2017 03:49:32 PM
Pocket Pets Cages

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Pocket Pets Cages