Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Self mutilating
Self mutilating
Health related
Mar 14 2017
06:38:11 PM
I have had twin girls for 9 years. One passed a couple months ago. Her twin sister has been feelings affects for a while. She stopped eating well and lost weight. She would not even eat mealworms or treats. She did a lot less playing and just when I thought she was doing better she started to self mytilate her tail. Since her sisters passing I have spent even more time with her than before because this was what I was worried about. She went to the vet and he checked for bacterial infections and told me her diet is just fine. He suggested I get two more gliders so that she can have companions considering these amazing creatures live in colonies and are super social. At this point I cannot afford to buy two more babes at full price due to me being pregnant. She has a cone on to prevent her from chewing which the vet said is a MUST not a choice. He said however once she heals and I take it off she will keep chewing because of the distress. I started a go fund me page to try to raise some money just to at least get about half of he cost. If there is anyway you guys can help by sharing to friends on Facebook or donating I would be so grateful! I thank all of you in advance for the support!

http://mk2.gofund.me/save-izzy-the-sugar-glider?rcid=5ac26b8492f344d29a1e207dcf4f3e51
Health related
Mar 15 2017
06:58:37 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Ok I haven't had coffee yet. Gliders that chew on their tails are usually from an injury not from distress.

Besides the e collar which IS very much a necessity and not a choice, what is being done to treat the tail ? Did the vet take xrays? is she on any medication? what is the wound care plan? our of curiosity what is her diet?

I have experience with self mutilating gliders, and the pics on your go fund me is not what I would classify self mutilation. If she chewed on her tail, it was more likely due to pain source in the tail.

A simple tail amputation will not likely lead to her demise. The only risk I can see for having a tail amputation is her age and being put under anesthesia at her age. The older the glder the more risky anesthesia is. The procedure itself only takes about 10 minutes. Does your vet have glider experience? is he equipped to do the procedure?

Edited by - Leela on Mar 15 2017 07:08:19 AM
Health related
Mar 16 2017
04:56:35 PM
tcpitzer Starting Member Visit tcpitzer's Photo Album tcpitzer's Journal 8 Posts
He did not take x rays. He wants to see whether pain meds help along with antibiotics. I had premise a cone before taking her in. He said since I have already taken measure that he will wait to take x rays. Her tail has started to look better already, but it was scabby red with open wounds. He asked about her diet and he does not believe it is a problem. She eats hpw along with the proper ratio of fruits and vegetables that are safe for gliders. She also eats mealworms with some treats daily such as yogurt drops. However she doesn't eat as much hpw as I would like her to so lately I was thinking of changing from hpw to the BML diet. He wants to see her again to see progress, but I might try to find a different exotic vet. He told me the amputation wouldn't lead to death, but after if she keeps chewing she will probably do it until it "kills" her. I'm just not too sure about this vet.
Health related
Mar 16 2017
05:43:34 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Where do you get your hpw from? not all are the same and not all are good.

If it were me, I'd find a new vet with more experience with tail injuries on gliders. Your going to want to watch the color of the tail near the injury when it starts turning black it means its necrotic ( dead tissue ) that is when an amputation may become necessary ( i say may because sometimes the dead part will fall off on it's own without surgery )

Usually once amputated the stitches are removed 10 days later and the glider is almost all healed up. SOMETIMES if the vet doesn't take enough off the necrotic will continue up the tail and a second amputation then becomes necessary.

One thing I would be doing, is finding what in the cage cause the injury in the first place and removing that thing so it doesn't happen again.
Health related
Mar 17 2017
06:20:51 PM
tcpitzer Starting Member Visit tcpitzer's Photo Album tcpitzer's Journal 8 Posts
I have tried a couple. I tried sun coast brand and exotic nutrition. I have heard a lot of negative about exotic nutrition and currently I am trying critter love because I was told they can be different and some could have unnecessary additives. She has a glider safe wheel in her cage and all her toys are glider toys. I plan on taking her to a new vet like I said I am unsure of the current one. I'm just unsure of what diet to try next if she isn't liking the hpw especially because I have heard a lot of people say that their glider tear up hpw, but won't touch the BML. I know all gliders are different at the same time though! Like I said before she has lost weight since her sister has passed and hasn't ate as much as before. A little more now, but not like she should. I was thinking of trying super worms ( I know you have to pinch their heads off first) to see if that would help, but overall she needs a diet gay she will eat well besides fruit and vegetables.
Health related
Mar 17 2017
08:54:27 PM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
I'm so sorry for what you and your glider have been through. I think going to another vet is a great idea, especially since you have doubts about your current one. And getting a second opinion will help shed light on the situation. I've used diets from Exotic Nutrition and have been pleased with them, although I know many are not. My females test results actually improved while she was on HPW but Critter Love and BML are excellent diets so those might be the best choice for you. I recently started offering yogurt and it has become an absolute favorite! It's great that you're spending more time with your little one. After having a companion for so long it must be such a shock to be without her. Getting 1 or 2 more is a great idea. There are rescues out there and you can check Craig's List. Of course a new glider can be very expensive, but there are many other expenses to consider, as you know....new cage until they can be properly introduced, food, accessories, vet bills, etc. My first glider came from Pocket Pets and they assured me that gliders are extremely economical. Not so much, but so very worth it! I wish you the very best and a speedy recovery for your little glider!
Health related
Mar 18 2017
03:46:55 PM
Thank you so much for all the advice. I have a smaller separate cage that my babe is in now which is sure her scent will help when I do introductions. Once again I really appreciate it!
Self mutilating

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Self mutilating