Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Bleeding while pooping
Bleeding while pooping
Health related
Mar 14 2017
07:28:15 PM
When my female glider was pooping earlier, I noticed a very small amount of blood. I wondered if maybe she was dehydrated and straining a bit? But she drinks a lot of water and I'm not sure what else would cause the bleeding. I've had gliders for about 9 months and this is the first time I've noticed this. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Health related
Mar 14 2017
09:51:18 PM
Tveit_Momma Glider Visit Tveit_Momma's Photo Album 197 Posts
Was the blood bright red or darker, more rust colored?
Health related
Mar 14 2017
11:11:05 PM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
It was more bright red.
Health related
Mar 15 2017
07:28:58 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
If it looked like this, it's normal. I always take a ton of pics of my gliders to see things in finer detail, the other day I got a glimpse of the red and went back to review the pic, it's normal and retracts once to poo has come out. You don't always see the red so when you do its like wth is that !

However, if it wasn't like the pic n was liquid or blood/bloody urine she'll need a vet appoint. Weve had a few cases lately of Pyometra. One of the gliders had a bloody discharge one time so it's on our list of symptoms for pyometra.

Edited by - Leela on Mar 15 2017 07:36:57 AM
Health related
Mar 15 2017
07:34:41 PM
Thanks for the replies. That makes sense. After she was finished, I blotted the area and there was a little blood on the tissue but it hasn't happened since. I'll be keeping an eye on her.
Health related
Mar 15 2017
07:59:32 PM
Tveit_Momma Glider Visit Tveit_Momma's Photo Album 197 Posts
If it's bright red, it's from the lower part of her digestive tract. If it's dark red, it's semi-digested and would need immediate emergency vet care. If it only happened the one time, and it was only a small little bit, it could just be she irritated her area, maybe from straining or from a really solid/hard poo. If it continues, take her to the vets asap.
Health related
Mar 15 2017
09:18:59 PM
I think that's what happened since it was just one time. She seems to be doing great now (eating/drinking well, exercising, playing, happy, etc.). Thank you both so much for your advice!
Bleeding while pooping

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Bleeding while pooping