Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Possible glider breast cancer...
Health related
Mar 22 2017
10:26:21 AM
I just took my little Lilly (5 yrs) to the vet to get a wellness check before bringing home my new glider baby, just to be sure she didn't have anything the baby could contract. The vet found a mass and after doing an x-ray he determined it is in the pouch, similar to glider breast cancer. He said there is not enough empirical evidence to know if surgery would actually prevent it from spreading, it is probably just as likely to come back if we remove it as it is to grow if we don't, but since it is so rare, there isn't enough evidence to really support one way or another.
I don't expect to get much here, since the vet didn't have much, but I thought maybe someone would have some thoughts that would, if nothing else, ease my mind.
Thanks for any help!
Health related
Mar 22 2017
06:45:49 PM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
I lost my 6 yr old girl to breast cancer on New Years day. I don't know how long she was sick before I noticed something was off. When I realized my pair hadn't been eating well I took her out to give her a treat and found out her back legs weren't working.

When I took her to the vet he found a mass in her pouch area. He gave me some pain meds to see if they helped her walk better. I took her back a few days later since the meds did nothing. She had lost 10 grams in less than a week. Then he took x rays and found several masses which probably caused nerve damage, hence the lameness. He gave her Prednisone and that helped a lot. He had no other treatment for her at that point. I could have taken her to a Veterinary school for possible surgery, but decided against that.

I hand fed Piper a few times a day and she really perked up after that. She was a strong little glider, climbed all over the cage with just her front feet! I rearranged the cage to give her more resting spots and put extra pouches near the bottom, but she would have nothing to do with them.

She went from being mean and crabby to being sweet in those last few weeks that she was with me. After 6 years Piper and I finally bonded.

My story probably wasn't much help, but possibly someone else here has something to say on the subject. I will pray for you and Lilly.
Health related
Mar 22 2017
08:58:15 PM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
So sorry for loss, jdching. I found your story to be beautiful nonetheless. You obviously had a strong connection and Piper was very much loved! Applejack, I'm so sorry for what you and Lilly are going through. I can't imagine what a shock and how upsetting this news was. I'm glad you reached out and are sharing your experience with others who can offer support and understanding. I feel helpless not being able to offer any suggestions but please know that people are thinking of you and praying for you. Wishing you peace, comfort, and the best possible outcome!
Health related
Mar 23 2017
04:56:36 PM
applejack Starting Member WI, USA 9 Posts
Thank you guys for the support. It really means a lot.
jdching, even though your story still had a sad end to the disease, it gave me an idea of what will happen and knowing that even when Piper was full of the tumors she was still around for weeks, which lets me know that this is very early on in the disease and I likely still have a decent amount of time with her, which makes me feel better and a little less hopeless. I had also not even thought about going to a vet school if I considered doing the surgery, money would be an issue if I decide to go that way and maybe that would be a cheaper option if I felt that was the best course of action (of course money is not the primary factor, Lilly's well-being is, but money is involved), plus it may help add to the knowledge of the disease and help future gliders and owners.
Whatever happens, I appreciate knowing I'm not alone. Thanks again.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders