Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Strange behavior
Strange behavior
Question
Mar 23 2017
08:59:50 PM
My gliders (2) woke tonight and shortly after began acting crazy. Flitting around the cage like they where terrified for their lives, especially the male. They haven't been eating very much the last 2 days (no change in diet). I opened the cage to change their water and give them fresh food for the night. The male came flying out like a bat out of hell and was scurrying all over my body. When i tried to return him he would run as soon as i got him close to the cage door. After a couple times of this he jumped off me. I scooped him up and again tried to return him to the cage. We repeated this several times before I grabbed a piece of fleece and trapped him inside it them put the whole thing in the cage and quickly shut the door. As soon as he escaped the fleece he started bouncing off the walla like crazy again. He was painting and his cloaca was pulsing. They seemed to have calmed down now. This wasn't normal playful leaping about. This was fear like.
Question
Mar 24 2017
07:58:48 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
Sorry it took so long for a reply. It sounds like maybe a vet visit would be in order, that is unless they are acting normally again for the remainder of time since.

Update please.
Question
Mar 25 2017
05:09:32 AM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
Was there anything unusual when it happened (like a storm coming, a sudden change in barometric pressure, a new electronic equipment somewhere or anything really)?

They can hear sounds that are beyond human hearing, so any unusual sound can possibly alarm them. Same goes with smells.

Otherwise, if it happens again, a vet visit might indeed be in order, when they feel something is wrong, they usually always try to climb higher and higher (even when they can't), it's instinct.
Question
Mar 28 2017
01:09:11 PM
Ducksarefood Joey 11 Posts
It hasn't happened again. Their appetite has returned to normal. They usually bounce around and run in their wheel. But since that night they're unusually inactive. Spending alot of time quietly climbing around the cage or just sitting and cleaning themselves. The weather has been crazy here and the barometric pressure has been all over the place.
Question
Mar 28 2017
02:07:26 PM
FYI I'm dropping off a stool sample next week to check for parasites.
Question
Mar 31 2017
11:33:50 AM
Had a chance to shoot up to the vets yesterday so i dropped the sample off then and got the results today and the sample was negative.
Strange behavior

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Strange behavior