Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Advice on introductions
Advice on introductions
Question
Mar 24 2017
05:31:23 PM
I'm sorry this is going to be long.I have a four month old female sugar glider named Quinn. She was living in my sister's cage, which has 5 gliders in it including her. My cage only has two (Finn and Bell) Because that is a lot of gliders in one cage i am trying to get her into my cage.

Finn is very territorial so I can't put him near any males or any other gliders marked by another male. I currently have her living alone in my spare cage in hopes that she'll stop smelling like Aang ( the male in my sister's cage). I have toys, pouches, and other fleece stuff in there that has already been used by Finn. I'm hoping that being around Finn's stuff will make her smell a little bit more like him.

My plan is to start introductions next Thursday. I'm going to start by putting Quinn in my travel carrier and putting Bell in my sister's travel carrier. They can see and smell each other, but can't hurt each other. If either one shows any aggression towards the other I will keep them separated and start sent swapping again.

If there is no aggression I will introduce them in the bathtub. If they get along I will have them live in the big cage and Finn in the spare cage for about a week. I want to make sure they get along before introducing Finn.

If they get along I will then do the same steps with Finn. If they don't get along I will then separate them, start scent swapping again, and repeat the process.

She is a little smaller and I don't want her to be teamed up on. I'm less worried about Bell so that's why I want to start with her and not Finn. Finn is neutered, but he doesn't act like it.

Before I do this I want some recommendations on changes I could make so this can be as safe as possible. She's just really lonely in the cage alone so I'm hoping to put them together soon.
Question
Mar 24 2017
07:54:15 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
I get what you're doing, and the way you are scent swapping is good, but I would still be concerned about the size of the girl you want to introduce, even to one glider. Is there a possible way to take two females from the cage of 5 and leave them together, since they are already getting along? Otherwise, maybe wait a bit longer until she is bigger.
Question
Mar 25 2017
02:13:00 AM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
The problem with that is I don't know if she will get bigger. She is the same size as her fully grown sister. Even my vet has told me that Finn is a big glider. Not fat just big. Bell is a little smaller, but she is bigger than Quinn.

I would take one more glider from the cage of five, but I hate them being in the small cage and I don't have room for another big cage.

If it comes down to it I can try again later and put her back in her old cage. I was just hoping to get her into my cage while I have spring break to stay up and be able to save her from any fights.
Question
Mar 25 2017
04:45:03 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
One of the biggest issues I've had with introductions in the beginning, was over thinking it and being nervous.

I recently introduced a 14 week oop petite joey ( under 70 gramas at the time) that was living with her parents one of them being an intact male. To 3 mature gliders, 2 of them very large in comparison of the joey, almost 200 gram female and a 164 gram neutered male, and the other a very tiny mature glider 70 grams a tiny bit bigger than the joey, with minimal scent swapping.

I let the joey and parents pouch get stinky and grungy, same with the other trios pouch stinky n grungy.

Gave the joey's pouch to the other trio for one night to sleep in.

Took their pouch and put the joey in it the next day and rubbed her allllllll over with the stinky grungy pouch for about an hour. Rubbed her with the pouch while she was in the pouch to make sure the other trio's stink was on her as much as possible.

Took both pouches of gliders and put them on landing of my stairs which is a smaller space than a bathtub, pouches facing each other and put treats in the middle.

My biggest female glider went in the joeys pouch and loved on her, then my male went in and was loved on, then little Amy went in and decided the joey was hers.

This introduction took less than 5 minutes, 3 weeks later then haven't had any issues at all. I also didn't thoroughly clean the trios cage, or make it neutral smelling in any way, after the intro I kept them all in the same pouch in my lap until about 9 pm then just put them in the trios cage. I did add a 2nd plate of food and have continued to use two plates for food because my plates are to small for portions of 4 on one plate.

My point is, size is not always an issue, Knowing your gliders IS. Scent swapping for a long time isn't always necessary either, I paired the joey up with these 3 because they are the most accepting of new cage mates, I did ONE night of scent swapping for the trio and ONE hour for the joey.

The joey has already grown enough that she is now a little bigger than Amy who is now back to being the smallest in the cage. The joey wasn't intimated by any of the other gliders sizes and they are not only bigger than her but also bigger than her parents were as well.

The biggest thing I can tell you is once you make a decision to introduce, be CONFIDENT in that decision, be calm during introductions but still be prepared to intervene if necessary. The more nervous about it that you are, the more nerved up the gliders will be.

Have a piece of fleece near you to protect your hand if you need to separate them. Trim their nails before introductions. Have a bottle of vetericyn VF on hand in case they do ball up and one or both gets scratched.

I've done a lot of introductions, using a few different methods. Some were successful long term, some were not. Knowing your gliders and being calm and confident are key in any introduction.

Top right is the joey bottom right is Amy, top left is Simon and bottom Left is my porkchop Nicky.

Edited by - Leela on Mar 25 2017 04:59:29 AM
Question
Mar 25 2017
08:34:16 AM
I have a few questions if you don't mind answering them.

What is vetericyn VF and where do you buy it? If it's online is there something similar I can buy from the store?

If I do manage to get them living in a cage together are there any signs of tension or hostility i should look for?

I would like to know about the introduction you have done that weren't long term. I want to be prepared for anything and hopefully have nothing take me by surprise.

What is the best method for introductions in your opinion?

Oh btw your gliders are cute.
Question
Mar 25 2017
09:06:06 AM
Oh, and should I do the introduction during the day or at night?
Question
Mar 25 2017
09:27:25 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Vetericyn Vf formula, can only be found online, the cheapest place I've found is amazon. It's good for cuts, scratches, bites, safe on eyes and safe to be ingested if they groom the area. You can spray it right on their face for scratches on or near their eyes or nose or anywhere on the body.

https://www.amazon.com/Vetericyn-Wound-Skin-Care-Spray/dp/B006UJGZNG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1490450615&sr=8-2&keywords=vetericyn+vf

one chasing the other around the cage, food aggression, not sleeping in the same pouch, a lot of crabbing, balling up ( and you will know if they ball up and fight) one stress running on a wheel.

My unsuccessful intro was introducing two pairs to each other. The intro was fine but they didn't gel in the cage living together. There was plenty of room double brisbane cage, 2 wheels, toys etc.. After about 2 or 3 months 2 of the girls balled up and one ( Amy in the intro I spoke about in my first post ) had facial injuries.
The intro of Simon Leela and Nicky Amy

wound and after healing

Amy was separated, and we took in a surrender that I paired with her after she healed completely, then another neutered male as well so then I had two trio's.

I tried one more time to combine the two trio's. It worked great for a few months the girls that originally fought were getting along. Then Nicky got a neck wound which is common and no big deal, but it took her a long time to heal and she was left with scaring and missing fur that won't grow back. I felt it made her a target if I put her back in the large colony so I repaired her with Simon, then Leela and Amy started bickering again Leela is the one that cause Amy's injuries the first time so I pulled Amy before anything else happened and put her with Nicky and Simon. I chose Simon to pair with Nicky because they always got a long, and he doesn't groom other gliders so I felt he would leave the scar site alone. These are the three that I just introduced the joey too.

Best method for a first time person doing an intro is probably the bath tub. It helps keep them contained, and you have easy access if they ball up .

The easiest for me, is letting them introduce themselves 3 times I've had a glider in my bra and one in the bonding bag and they literally introduced themselves on their own without me doing a thing. One will come out and just go where the other is bra or pouch.

To do this I carried two bonding bags with a glider in each one, zipped and contained for a week, then the second week I leave the bags open and just let them do their thing when they are ready.

Edited by - Leela on Mar 25 2017 09:44:15 AM
Question
Mar 25 2017
09:30:07 AM
Introduce during the day I usually do it anywhere from 10 am to 2 pm because I want them to have a few hours in the pouch in my lap to mingle scents and for me to monitor them before they go back in a cage.

Good signs, rubbing on each other. One grabbing the cheeks of the other and rubbing their head under the others chin or chest. Curling up together, grooming each other, popping sound.
Question
Mar 25 2017
09:35:36 AM
Thank you! This really helps.
Question
Mar 25 2017
09:46:36 AM
yw I edited an added a video of the intro. This was done in a community shower we have available here where I live. I wanted it as neutral as possible, since I used our own bathroom for out of cage time i don't like doing intro's in there and it's to small.

The intro in the video wasn't bad, but, later on I noticed Amy was reluctant to join the other 3 she tried to avoid them. Which now, looking back I would say was my first sign it might not work long term.

This was my first intro without help from someone more experience. We were a little nervous

Edited by - Leela on Mar 25 2017 10:00:55 AM
Advice on introductions

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Advice on introductions