Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
In your opinion what brand of pellet food is best?
Food, Diet
Mar 24 2017
06:54:00 PM
So, since Im new to sugargliders, I been doing research and came up with this supposedly good brands for pellet food for a complete diet:

Previous owner used: Vitakraft VitaSmart Sugar Glider Food - High Protein Formula (gliders like it but Im unsure of keep buying this since is not the best quality on the market)

The brands I can buy and are good quality:

Wholesome Balance Chicken & Brown Rice Blend Sugar Glider Food Suncast

Exotic Nutrition Instant-HPW High Protein Sugar Glider Food

Exotic Nutrition Sugar Glider Complete Food

I really would like your opinion on this pellets food, for now Im trying the HPW diet but Im really concern of doin it right

And Thanks for your answers!

Edited by - LukeandLeia on Mar 24 2017 06:56:32 PM
Food, Diet
Mar 24 2017
07:45:45 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
Pet Pro Happy Glider In my opinion are good quality. The creator of the HPW Original (Critter Love Original, Critter Love Plus, & Critter Love Complete) also recommends Happy Glider, I believe she also sells the brand on her website.

HPW is easy enough, just follow the directions.

Edited by - TJones09 on Mar 24 2017 07:49:42 PM
Food, Diet
Mar 24 2017
08:26:53 PM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
I haven't tried happy glider but it looks really good. Thanks TJones! I've used exotic nutrition (baby food and complete) and have been very happy with it. Some people don't approve of exotic nutrition but it was recommended by our exotic vet and both my gliders love it. I recently ordered critter love and am hoping to try that soon. I don't buy from pet stores because most of these don't offer the best nutrition.
Food, Diet
Mar 24 2017
08:40:54 PM
Emris Joey 31 Posts
None.

Pellet food is not an appropriate diet for sugar gliders under any circumstances.

You need to have your glider on a tested, reliable staple diet like the BML, HPW, or Priscilla price diet. Staple diets are the only way to be sure your glider is obtaining the appropriate nutrients, as well as the correct balance of calcium to phosphorus. Personally I feed my girl BML, she loves it and it's super easy to get the ingredients.

Sugar gliders are nectar eaters, so not only does pellet food not provide the right nutrients, but it can also wear down their teeth.

There is a ton of information about staple diets in the gliderpedia here on glider gossip, hopefully that'll help you pick a suitable diet for your sugar butt.
Food, Diet
Mar 24 2017
09:50:57 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts

Personally, I don't feed pellets. For me, the risk of aflatoxin is just to high and I don't have the freezer space to store them properly long term.

However, if your going to, Pet Pro pellets are probably the best ones that people in the community that DO feed pellets in addition to their staple of choice, most often recommend.

Also if you DO decide to feed them pellets, make sure you store them in a sealed container in the freezer and mark it with the expiration date. Storing them on the counter or in the fridge can make pellets produce mold, which will produce aflatoxin- deadly to gliders.

Edited by - Leela on Mar 24 2017 09:53:09 PM
Food, Diet
Mar 25 2017
09:08:15 AM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
I have purchased several foods and treats from Exotic Nutrition and none of my gliders would touch any of it. It is like they don't recognize it as food!

I threw out my pellets after hearing about molds, and proper storage. Now I am thinking about getting some for treats. My choice of safe treats is getting smaller and smaller. I am now down to yogurt drops (which are basically candy) and plain Cheerios. Occasionally, small mealworms.
Food, Diet
Mar 25 2017
10:06:48 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
White chocolate baking chips ( no brown chocolate ) and butterscotch baking chips are my go to treats both can be found in the baking aisle

White chocolate melting chips are fine too but i would cut them in quarters because they are pretty big

I've just recently added cherry baking chips but it took me 2 yrs to find them and when I did we ended up buying in bulk online.

marshmallows I have maybe 2 gliders that like them, but one that has to have them and not just any old white marshmallow they have to be the fruity flavored multi colored ones for her
Food, Diet
Mar 25 2017
11:27:37 AM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
Mines don't want the baking chips, but they do like the mini yogurt drops. They don't want dried fruit, or even fresh fruit, except melon. And NO marshmallows!
Food, Diet
Mar 26 2017
11:50:43 PM
Poss Glider Visit Poss's Photo Album MO, USA 118 Posts
Feeding a pellet diets irks me, personally. The fact of the matter is, sugar gliders are natural foraging omnivores in the wild and they eat an expansive list of things. Other animals, animal products, fresh plant matter ... Eating pelleted food 24/7 would not be very good for their dental health.

I, myself, have not even fed one of the conventional diets touted on forums consistently-- then at all (HPW, BML, etc) in over five years. My over 2 dozen gliders are still absolutely fine, and whilst this really isn't an option for a beginning glider owner, I still think it's preferable to offer varied, fresh foods often.

I think the actual staple diets are absolutely reliable, don't misunderstand, I just don't follow them anymore after being comfortable enough with owning my gliders for so many years. I still feel it absolutely necessary for most to follow a consistent staple diet, for sake of convenience and to put your mind at ease about the nutrition of your gliders. Remember, diets like those are calculated by phos/cal ratios, confirmed to be safe by many owners already. There is truly no need to offer pelleted foods when there is so many better alternatives and pelleted food is so poor quality on average, as well as being riskier to store. It's definitely not the easy way out.

@Jdching, I feed my gliders a lot of sweet treats. They truly do enjoy breakfast cereals, yoghurts, etc.. I break and offer small pieces fresh oatmeal cookies for them occasionally, banana bread ..

I make yoghurt drops myself with an icing bag when I have the patience, on a baking tray I insert into the freezer, rather than buy them and maybe have them ship in squished or melted, plus it puts my mind at ease far more knowing I'm completely aware of what they consist of.

Moderation is key, none of your gliders will keel over because you gave them something 'bad' (aka : too sugary, too fat) once, I think a lot of people are a bit excessively worried on that, which is understandable, I think.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders