Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
i tried
i tried
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 25 2017
12:29:39 PM
well after 3 hours of trying to trim nails I give up.

I'm on the border of rockland county and NJ if anyone in the area is looking,
please come get take my 2 guys
believe there are a few pictures in profile
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 25 2017
01:03:43 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
Your gliders are beautiful, why would you just give up on them? Can you see if a vet could trim their nails?

I can tell you that I had my two girls for several months before I attempted to trim their nails. They were quite long when I finally got the courage to try.

Here are some things that helped me.

1. Have a fleece pouch ready, just in case you need it.
2. Set up your trimming area with what you need: nail clippers, bleed stop agent (corn starch, which I haven't had to use so far), and an small emery board. I also like to keep a dish of freeze dried meallies for them to munch on. I lay out a large piece of fleece on my desk and place everything on it, this is where I trim their nails.

To start, have them eat their treat, well try one at a time actually. Anywya, while the glider is eating treat (meallies work well), start just touching his/her feet. Gently apply a tiny bit of pressure to their feet as you pick on one foot, give a gently rub and place down. If/when your glider turns to your hand, just redirect them back to the bowl of meelies. After you make a few attempts at this (maybe once a week for a few weeks), be ready to try to trim nails. If you're afraid to use the clippers, try giving a few swipes of the emery board across each nail. Chances are they'll be better with the clippers, redirect them back to the bowl of treats when they express interest.

If this doesn't work, place glider in fleece pouch, fold it over closed and then just allow your hand to reach in and pull out a foot and begin trimming that way.

My girls do very well with the meallie method, Ollie lets me get anywhere between a couple to several nails before he gives up the meallies, so I usually have to finish him pouch method.

Don't give up on them.
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 25 2017
01:18:27 PM
sh00ter Joey Visit sh00ter's Photo Album 32 Posts
my vet would but its $99 just to make an appointment with him

tried everything you listed, and yes I'm sure I could get them cut but it would probably also come with a broken bone or dislocation

also these 2 don't care about treats. I didn't get bitten but had to give when they pulled their hand/foot

they are great but I wont be able to deal with this nail thing

trying to give them back to the breeder or anyone who wants them
but for me I'm done
they are safe in the cage, and ill feed them until rehomed but sooner the better
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 25 2017
01:30:02 PM
if it helps both are neutered and if needed cage and toys can go too
but prefer to keep it
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 25 2017
01:49:24 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts

this is one thing I use a sleeping pouch with a hole, if you have to give them time to get sleepy, then pull out a leg and cut. it still takes 2 people.

the other way we do it, ours have started putting head out the hole looking for a treat then I cant get leg out. so my wife just grabs them has thumb under chin and finger behind head so they cant bite, I pull leg and hold tight, she cuts nails.
We have 10 gliders to cut nails, so after 4 or 5 it does get tiresome.
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 25 2017
02:22:44 PM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
OH, I'm so sorry you're frustrated!
Your gliders are so beautiful!
If I was closer to you I'd already be in the car. But I'm in the capital district, and that's a few hours. If you get really stuck, let me know. But I suspect you will find someone to take them in. Or maybe you'll give it another shot? If they haven't bitten you, that's a good sign. My Thor pulls his foot out of my grasp if I'm not just a little stronger holding him than I am with my other gliders.
Much luck to you and your fuzzbutts.
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 25 2017
02:25:19 PM
tried that pouch too.
the breeder will take them if need be
butshe also gave me a pet shop not too far from me (maybe 40 min) that will do it for $10
just not sure if I can get there but can try for now, but probably still best to rehome since I don't know how long ill deal with driving in north jersey....that's why I moved out of there
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 25 2017
02:44:34 PM
they really are great, but I have already seen nails getting stuck on my shirt and just don't want them to get hurt
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 25 2017
06:40:22 PM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
Of course you don't! But haven't you only had them a few weeks? I'm not trying to convince you to keep them. If you want to rehome them, that is totally up to you.
I will say this though...I'm just guessing from your comments that they squirm quite a bit when you hold their feet for nail clipping. If that's true, you're not alone. Thor would squirm so much I would worry he would dislocate a limb. So, I let go. Sometimes I have to do one paw, then wait until tomorrow for the next paw. I never spend more than 10 minutes cutting one glider's nails. I'll trim over a couple of days if I have to, but more than 10 minutes on one glider gets frustrating for us both.
What kind of clippers do you use? My favorite are the cuticle trimmers. They're much easier to position.
One last thing. I could swear my Thor has learned that nail clipping helps him. His nails were atrocious. Long and thick, and had grown around long enough to cut into the nail bed. He used to squirm so much! But now he hardly squirms. If ever. I think he's learned that nail clipping helps him. Or maybe I'm crazy lol! In any case, he's definitely gotten used to it.
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 25 2017
09:49:02 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts

If gliders arent for you then so be it, not all pets for all people.
but if ONLY the nail issue stopping you then I do feel bad for you. to give up
on the pets you love for that one thing kind of sucks.

the only other thing I can suggest to try it while they are sleeping, get them to sleep with you in bonding pouch, slowly open it and try to cut while they still sleepy. but I feel for you, we have to cut nails every 3 weeks and it can be a pain in the a%%.
one last thing, when I hold the legs for my wife to cut, I have to hold them real strong sometimes so they dont pull back while she is cutting, so I hold real tight onto leg and they have never gotten hurt from it.
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 26 2017
04:27:19 AM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
If it helps, unless they get stuck on fabric, it's not absolutely necessary to trim their nails either...
I know I'm going to be frowned at, but I almost never trim my gliders' nails (I must have done only twice in a year on Leo because one of his nail just always grows faster and he gets stuck while walking on fleece, but he's the only one who ever really needs it), they have a few branches in their cage (that I change regulary), bamboos to climb on in their playroom and it does a good job at keeping their nails from being too sharp.
I suspect it is more for the human comfort than for the glider's that most of people trim their nails regulary (not so many glider owners that I know do that over here, but again we do many things differently with our gliders as well)

Edited by - sjusovare on Mar 26 2017 04:28:14 AM
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 26 2017
08:09:41 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Some of the veteran owners/breeders don't trim nails as often or at all. They also don't use as much fabric and fleece in the cages for the gliders to get hung up on as other people do, nor do they have the gliders on their body as much.

When you have a big cage set and use all the pieces in the cage it's more likely they will get hung up on something. When you have the gliders on your body a lot, many suffer redness that itches incredibly bad from nails that need trimmed.

Personally I don't frown upon experienced owners from not trimming nails, because there set up is probably totally different and has less risk of nails getting stuck in the first place.

I use minimal fleece in my cage, usually just a pouch, maybe once in a while a bridge. I trim about every other week for my own personal comfort because I have them out on me more than most people. I also have a couple that get snagged easily even on just the one fleece thing in the cage or on my clothing. When mine get stuck on my clothing it's usually a place I can't reach them without removing the clothing

Shooter, if nails are your only trouble I'm sure we can find someone local to you that can help teach you how to do them I know at least 2 other people in Jersey.

Edited by - Leela on Mar 26 2017 08:16:55 AM
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 26 2017
08:38:20 AM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
Yes, that too, I don't use pouches (because Leo was digging holes in them), I use nestboxes (well Leo still digs in it, but it lasts longer, actually, I think he's trying to make tthe nest bigger because he starts digging a lot when there are joeys), mainly because once I put a few nestboxes in their cage, they just stopped using the pouches all together.
so yes, I have one bridge in fleece in front of the wheel because they like using it as a trampoline, and a few corner shelves for the joeys, but everything else is wood or mesh...
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 26 2017
09:36:58 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
https://www.facebook.com/FystyAngel Agnes is in New Jersey in South Bend Brook, Im not sure how far that is from you, but I'm sure if you contacted her she'd be happy to show you how to trim them a few times. You can tell her Carla Sloan sent you to her
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 27 2017
07:20:44 AM
mechnut450 Glider Visit mechnut450's Photo Album 121 Posts
Not sure where you actually at in NJ but you can gladly contact me and we can do trimming for you ( I live in Newark DE) I can and am willing to teach you how to do it and all gliders like treats just got to find the right ones.
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 28 2017
06:16:21 AM
thanks for suggestions everyone. for location im next to the George Washington bridge. I was able to find someone only about 1/2 hour away.
she normally charges $10 per. she did both of them and while they did put up a fight they never tried to bite her so she said she will do $15 for both until I can do it myself....$15 is worth it for me not to figure it out and just hope the store never closes .
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 28 2017
07:44:58 AM
EveGL Starting Member Visit EveGL's Photo Album TX, USA 6 Posts
You can also try what I do with my Eve(she's super skitzy and just won't settle down no matter how many times we've done it now). I wrap her in one of her blankets like a burrito, hold her firmly with my thumb and pointer around the top part of her arms to minimize squirming and start the process. She fights me but the squirming is reduced by a lot this way and I can do it myself without having to ask someone to help. They feel calmer if you are too. I know when I was nervous at first she could sense it and fought nonstop but now that I feel more confident she only squirms here and there and it's less stressful on us both hahahaha it's tough when they always fight back. My first just laid there and let me trim away like he was in a spa getting a mani pedi.
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 28 2017
07:24:38 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
I'm so happy to hear you found a resolution!! Maybe as they get used to getting their nails done, they'll get better at it and it may get easier.
i tried

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
i tried