Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Cage liners safety
Cage liners safety
Health related
Mar 25 2017
02:15:10 PM
I was curious about Cage tray liners, I read that some are made of 100% Polypropylene. That they are absorbent and all you do is shake it out and put it in the washing machine.

I wasn't sure what the word meant It said that polypropylene is usually made by using titanium, zirconium or aluminum based catalysts. The end result of these are residues of the metal oxides, which are very harmless on the grand scheme of things -- titanium dioxide is used as a white food coloring, aluminum oxide is used in antiperspirants, zirconium dioxide is what makes up cubic zirconia fake jewelry.

But then I read someplace else that said polypropylene 'leaches' chemicals over time, I want to make sure what I use or make is completely safe for Lilly and lilac ,what kind of material would you recommend for cage liners ?
Health related
Mar 25 2017
04:17:49 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
I use them and haven't had any issues with them at all. In fact I absolutely love them and Jana was a pleasure to do business with. It takes me less than 5 minutes to clean 3 cage trays and saves my back a whole lot of pain. My gliders aren't in direct contact with them they lay in the bottom tray beneath the grate.

The problem with them leaching over time is because the fabric is usually used for gardening to prevent weeds and is under dirt or mulch and gets considerably wetter in that usage than it does laying in a tray.

once a week unless they get something super messy I take them out hose them off, let them dry and put em back in.. they are usually left outside to dry takes about 20 minutes.
Health related
Mar 26 2017
08:31:18 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
I use them too, well not as drop tray liners but Jana is great to work with and made me custom shelf liners. First for my corner shelf, which I don't use anymore, so the triangle shaped liners are used on the floor as a "place mat" pretty much. I now have rectangle shelves that reach front to back and she made me custom liners for those with elastic to hook onto the ends for holding in place. I use these mostly for the top feeding shelf and occasionally on the second shelf in their cage. My next special order will be a custom liner for my trio's vacation Glide-arium, I'm going to order two sets I believe, 2 for use horizontal and 2 for vertical use, as I change the orientation pending on the trip and space availability, but prefer horizontal (so they'll be ordered first).

I have not had any trouble with them and the only reason I don't use them in the home-cage drop pan is because I prefer no liner, I find it quick to clean up a bare drop pan. But then again I only have one cage and we all have different methods and preferences.

Oh, and I do throw mine in the washer and dryer. She mentions you can, but when ordering add extra to the measurements, I don't remember how much, but mine are working fine with machine wash and dry. When I get the liners for the Glide-arium, I may line dry those.

Edited by - TJones09 on Mar 26 2017 08:33:09 PM
Health related
Mar 28 2017
12:42:15 AM
PipersGlider Glider Visit PipersGlider's Photo Album USA 50 Posts
Thank you, I appreciate both your help, I am glad to hear what you said you used, It makes me feel a lot better about getting some, I liked the video also and am looking forward to getting some.
Thank you !!
Cage liners safety

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Cage liners safety