GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Friend for Adopted Glider
Question
Mar 27 2017
11:47:32 PM
Hey everyone,

The overwhelming consensus seems to be that sugar gliders should not live alone.

We, however, adopted a lone sugar glider that we found on Craigslist about two months ago.

I'd like to get her a friend, but I have a couple of questions regarding our particular situation:

(1) How long can or should we wait before getting a new glider? I'm asking because Sky is not yet bonded to us and, in many ways, remains an enigma. I'm also starting a new job and will be busier than I have been, so I'm not sure how well I'll be able to start the bonding process all over again with another glider.

(2) Where should we get the new glider from? I'd like to adopt another, but I'm wondering what would happen if they don't get along. Odds are that the person would not be willing to take him/her back. And to be honest, I'm not willing to keep two gliders in separate cages. The other option would be to buy one from our local sugar glider shop (yes, we're lucky!). In that event, the shop owner may be willing to take the rejected glider back, and perhaps we could try with a different one?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Question
Mar 28 2017
01:49:20 AM
Poss Glider Visit Poss's Photo Album MO, USA 118 Posts
Introduction can or can not be a tricky thing.

I've so many gliders that typically I don't bother with the long introduction processes anymore .. If one glider doesn't like another, sometimes they'll like a different one I put in the cage. Sometimes though, one of my gliders is fussy and stubborn and just doesn't want another glider invading their personal cage territory, which is understandable, to me. I've also had some gliders that, no matter what, no matter how many different gliders I tried, they never, ever allowed it to happen, this happening primarily with a much older widowed male I had.

I think it's best to do things like rotate their cage items to each other so they become used to their differing scents, like pouches or toys. You can put cages next to each other, but this may turn out to be a bad idea and they might display aggression being so close to each others territories, if they 'dislike' one another. In which case, you can block the side views with fleece, they'll still know something is there.

It's best to introduce gliders in a completely neutral environment, say, a bathtub (towel) with you inside, or a safe room .. a clean bonding tent is always good. A medium sized space is best, enough for them to be aware of the others presence but enough to keep their distance at first if they'd like. They should already have been well fed and you may have better results doing this in the daytime, when they're less high strung.

Occasionally I do offer food to gliders during introductions, but this can give particularity nasty results sometimes, especially if you're unaware if your glider is food aggressive towards others or not.
Squabbling is normal, I don't typically worry unless I see real biting or violent 'balling-up'. In which case I do have to step in, and if your hand isn't wrapped or gloved, you're going to get bit accidentally.
Take out both gliders every time you want to bond with them so they'll also be bonding with eachother.

It can take weeks for a proper introduction, but it's okay, and they'll eventually at the very least be able to tolerate each other. A lot of gliders are more than happy to get cagemates. All it takes is repeated processes. They'll eventually get used to another glider being around eachother.

And some gliders can get along completely, immediately! That's something I have happen all the time, I've been able to suddenly add several gliders into confirmed colonies without issues before.

Keep in mind that you're going to want to have some kind of health quarantine process if you're adopting a glider from a pet-store, I'd even recommend a vet visit, and they'll be a bit stressed during the first week of being inside your home. When the new glider is calm and confirmed to be healthy, start the introduction process.

I'd recommend a glider from a breeder. Gliders from breeders will be more likely to have been raised in multi-glider situations, colonies, trios, etc. They'll be more tolerant on average than a glider who you may not know the background of completely in a pet-store. Males are more tolerant on average, especially to females, so I'd recommend a neutered male if you can find one.

All introduction is going to take is patience, and don't let it stress you out more than the gliders.
Question
Mar 29 2017
09:38:45 PM
NemoNowAndAlways Joey Visit NemoNowAndAlways's Photo Album 21 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Poss

I'd recommend a glider from a breeder. Gliders from breeders will be more likely to have been raised in multi-glider situations, colonies, trios, etc. They'll be more tolerant on average than a glider who you may not know the background of completely in a pet-store. Males are more tolerant on average, especially to females, so I'd recommend a neutered male if you can find one.

The 'store' might indeed be a breeder. It is a specialty sugar glider shop--not a typical pet store. He has dozens of gliders, all living in colonies. He also raises some joeys.

In that case, is the quarantine still necessary? And how long should the new glider be quarantined for?
Question
Mar 29 2017
10:21:17 PM
I think quarantines are always necessary, even though some people might think of that as overkill .. Good health is important, you wouldn't want two gliders to become ill from an introduction. I don't worry about it as much when getting multiple gliders from the same source.

Quarantine would entail bringing the glider to a vet for fecal tests and a wellness check. Ask the breeder / store about quarantine, if you'd like. My sugar gliders are as clean as a whistle but I wouldn't tell someone to not quarantine, especially if they already have gliders.

I believe the usual duration is thirty days? And it's usually better to keep in a separate room if possible, no contact with each other for the entire period.

Reminder, even if a glider looks healthy it can be ill .. they're fantastically good at hiding symptoms until they're hanging on a thread. I'm not bagging on the quality of the breeder or anything of the sort, it's just about risk taking and safety.
Question
Mar 29 2017
11:20:58 PM
NemoNowAndAlways Joey Visit NemoNowAndAlways's Photo Album 21 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Poss

I believe the usual duration is thirty days?

All right, thanks!

If I wait thirty days, do you know how long I should scent swap their pouches/put them together in the same room (in their respective cages) before attempting a physical introduction?
Question
Mar 30 2017
02:00:56 AM
I'd say about ten days before making them 'meet eachother'? I'm actually a bit unsure, but being moved to a new room will require some settling in for the new glider for about 3-4 days(?) and you don't want to stress them out too much during that period. Maybe someone else can pitch in with advice on that?

Physical introductions don't always have to mean the gliders necessary interact, it's okay to just have them both out and about at the same time. They'll be aware of each others presence. You don't have to force them to do things-- if they seem to do okay with each other being near try the usual towel-in-bathtub introduction scenario or in a glider-tent, etc etc.

Just be there ready to stop any negative behaviour in it's early stages, small squabbles aren't that bad, but break them up quickly so they don't progress into full fights.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders