Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Enclosures
Enclosures
Question
Mar 28 2017
02:19:04 PM
So I abhor cleaning cage wire. It's nearly impossible to get every nook and cranny clean and that drives me nuts. Ive seen a very few USDA facilities who instead of cages they use enclosures with flat walls and vents. This seems far more ideal to me. Remove all the cage objects and spray with a safe cleaning solution and just wipe the walls and display window down. Is anyone here doing something similar? I've made several waterproof enclosures for reptiles with sliding glass doors. With a few minor alterations and hinged doors they would be safe for gliders. Clearly adequate ventilation would be a requirement. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.
Question
Mar 28 2017
07:35:24 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
Don't get too excited seeing a reply, I wasn't sure if it would be best to not. I personally do not have or know of any enclosure like you described being used to safely and healthily house sugar gliders. I am aware of such being used for some reptiles, and perhaps maybe other animals can be, but I just don't know that much about it with use with SGs.

I personally do not feel that would be ideal, just for the reason your sugar gliders could not climb on it. Plus, I'm not sure the vents would be enough air flow.

Can you keep your cage where you can roll it outdoors and use a hose to squirt it down? Some people do that 2-3 times a year (maybe more, not really sure). If I could keep mine where I could roll it out, I'd do it at least 2x a year. As it is, I've only been able to do this once, and that was when I was moving, and had to take it outdoors anyway. For now, I use a hand-held steam cleaner on it 2-3 times a year (mostly like 2x, lol). I wipe down with a sponge and v/w solution (aprox 40/60) on a weekly bases, well most of the time, I skip a week here and there.

Maybe someone with more knowledge on the type of enclosure you're talking about for sugar gliders.
Question
Mar 29 2017
08:37:22 PM
Ducksarefood Joey 11 Posts
In a large enough enclosure with plenty of other climbing opportunities not being able to climb walls wouldn't be an issue. Neither would air flow as long as enough vents were provide. If I was really concerned about air flow i could install a computer fan to the outside of one of the vents. I'm also talking about an enclosure that's 4' x2' x2' minimum which would provide far more space than most commercially made glider acceptable cages.
Question
Mar 29 2017
11:45:42 PM
BingsMama Starting Member 7 Posts
I agree with Tjones09. It's not ideal. I wouldn't do it. My Gliders love to climb on cage bars.
Question
Mar 30 2017
06:16:38 AM
sh00ter Joey Visit sh00ter's Photo Album 32 Posts
I saw a youtube video where a guy had this type of enclosure. his was actually quite large, about 3x the size of the standard cage.
he went on to say how the gliders would always jump into the glass
and for being easy to clean it looked quite dirty and not very fun since there want anyplace to "hang" chains/ropes or any climbing stuff
Enclosures

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Enclosures