GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
BML supplements replacements
Food, Diet
Apr 04 2017
10:01:32 AM
Hi, Tosh here

I am very new to keeping sugar gliders, currently i have 2 of them and they have been with me for about 2-3 months now. Due to where I am living, Gliders are so called "illegal" and gliders items are very hard to find. Shipping stuff over seriously kills then enjoyment, Critter Love HPW 1lb, just for shipping will cost me $75. Currently feeding them, non Approved Instant Complete HPW from thailand, i think, with Fruits and Veggies.

I am thinking they best way is to convert to BML diet but i have problems getting Rep Cal products. The only products i can get here are

Zoo Med Repti Calcium with D3

Repti Calcium® is an ultra fine Precipitated Calcium Carbonate Supplement with Vitamin D3. It is a phosphorus-free calcium supplement for reptiles and amphibians. It has a unique shape/high surface area per gram resulting in increased calcium bioavailability

Ingredients:

Precipitated Calcium Carbonate, Cholecalciferol (Source of Vitamin D3)

Guranteed Analysis:

Moisture (max) 1.0%
Calcium (Min) 38.0%
Calcium (max) 43.0%
Vitamin D3 (Min) 10.0%

Zoo Med ReptiVite without D3

ReptiVite™ without D3 is calcium based to ensure healthy bone growth with the correct 2:1 calcium to phosphorus ratio. The first reptile vitamin to include the complete amino acid complex, an essential component in protein digestion. ReptiVite™ without D3 does not contain artificial additives or fillers like soy, yeast, or sucrose.

Ingredients:
Dicalcium Phosphate, Precipitated Calcium Carbonate, Maltodextrins, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Choline Bitartrate, Magnesium Oxide, L-Leucine, Manganese Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid, L-Arginine, L-Lysine Monohydrochloride, a-Tocopherol Acetate, L-Valine, L-Isoleucine, L-Threonine, L-Glutamine, L-Alanine, L-Glutamic Acid, Calcium Pantothenate, L-Phenylalanine, Dried Kelp, L-Tyrosine, Lecithin, Ferrous Fumarate, L-Cystine, L-Histidine, Glycine, DL-Methionine, L-Serine, L-Aspartic Acid, Niacin, Copper Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

Are these items replacable for both rep cal calcium and multivitamin supplements?

Food, Diet
Apr 04 2017
10:07:37 AM
TehaTosh Joey Singapore 10 Posts
Here are two more products which are available locally

Calcium + D3
www.exo-terra.com/en/products/powder_calcium_d3.php

Multivitamin
www.exo-terra.com/en/products/powder_multi_vitamin.php

Both Zoo Med and exoterra have the omes without D3 too.

I hope someone can help me out as i have limited items for my suggys.
Food, Diet
Apr 06 2017
12:21:27 AM
Effsan Glider Visit Effsan's Photo Album 64 Posts
Hello Tosh,

I can't give you a professional opinion.

However, I don't have resource to Rep-Cal too and after 8 petshop visits around my area, I bought the exo-tera calcium with D3 and multi-vit. (exactly those in your link)

I didn't check with the group because I know I have no way to to source for Rep-Cal anyways.

If it's any assurance, 7 weeks later, my baby gliders have gained more than 15g from 37g (3 months) to 55g (5 months), their fur much thicker, temperament calm and playful (one of them still a lil crabby), pooping and peeing normally. They look strong, able to leap/glide 1.5m, climb and play for more than 1 hour a day. Can't help you much with internal health, they look like they're growing well so far.

Note: I feed them 2 types of vege and 1 type of fruit every night with the BML. Love the fruits, hardly eat the vege. I serve anyway.

I do hope someone with more knowledge can answer your question with more certainty.

All the best with your gliders =)
Food, Diet
Apr 06 2017
06:02:39 PM
Hi effsan

Thanks for the tip.
I will look further into exoterra products, try and will keep an eye on those suggies.

Kinda annoying really if u cant find products available.
Food, Diet
Apr 07 2017
08:26:34 AM
NyxandBenny Glider Visit NyxandBenny's Photo Album AB, CA 166 Posts
I've been told to always ask the creator of the diet regarding changes in any supliment. You can usually find them on facebook forums I forget her name tho. Hopefully someone can fill in the blank. It shouldn't hurt them in the short run. It's the long run you have to worry about.I think it would be fine but I didn't create the diet. Better safe then sorry is all.
Food, Diet
Apr 07 2017
09:19:25 AM
That is what concerns me "In a long run".
I have tried to find the creator but to no avail.
The calcium and D3 in Exoterra is rather low quantity

Rep Cal calcium + D3
Calcium
Min 35%
Max 40%
D3 400,000 UI/KG

Exo Terra Calcium + D3
Min 35%
Max 38%
D3 slightly less than 400,000 UI/KG
Food, Diet
Apr 07 2017
09:29:27 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Bourbon Hackworth is the creator of Bml she can be reached on facebook https://www.facebook.com/bourbonh

Food, Diet
Apr 12 2017
10:46:21 AM
Got my exoterra calcium d3 and my multivitamin.
I ave no choice as rep cal is not readily available

Now i face another problem.
We got heinz and gerber baby food, but
Somehow, those with "chicken" not available.
Tried looking every supermarket but not available.

What we have is
Heinz Mums Creamy Pasta & Tuna mornay
Heinz Mums Beef & Vegetable Casserole
Heinz Pumpkin/Potato and beef
Heinz Organic Tender Beef

The rest are mostly fruits.

Should i go for organic tender beef instead?
Or creamy pasta & Tuna.
Food, Diet
Apr 16 2017
09:24:53 PM
Hello there Tosh,

Have you made a decision?

I face similar situation as well! haha. I used to read through some old threads and came to conclusion that generally 'white protein' will be a better choice than 'red protein'.

That means chicken, egg, turkey, fish is better than pork, beef and lamb etc. Main reason I read being 'red protein' has much higher fat content.

I am lucky to find carrot and chicken risotto baby food. That's what I have been using. If you want to go with others such as the tuna pasta, please CHECK that they do not contain food that are DEADLY to sugar gliders such as ONION. I find most of the baby food contain onion. So please be careful.
Food, Diet
Apr 17 2017
06:44:32 PM
Hi effsan,

Futher research I think that heinz and gerber chicken baby
Food are either being recalled or discontinued and i have no
Other way to find them. Lucky u have the chicken ones, i have none.

I've went for the Tender beef wth vegetable mash.
Just trying out my luck.
I did read somewhere that white meat is preffered.
Will go for others next time or maybe make my own?

Yeap read the lables, no onions in them. Pheww.

Overall, it seems to work, I think, my suggies have less odour.
There is, but less noticeable. Feeding them "thailand made hpw"
Gives out more noticable odour.
Food, Diet
Apr 17 2017
06:49:48 PM
Well this is my modified BML recipe.
I called it Asian Modified BML.
Caters to Asian countries with no Rep Cal
Haha.

1/2 cup honey
1/4cup yogurt (gerber yogurt drink replacement)
1/4cup Blueberry with cranberry mix juice (gerber yogurt drink replacement)
1/4 cup wheat germ
1 teaspoon exoterra multivitamin
2 teaspon exoterra calcium+d3
142g Heinz organic tenderbeef with vegetable mash
1/4cup apple juice
1/2 cup baby cereal

Edited by - TehaTosh on Apr 17 2017 06:51:28 PM
Food, Diet
Apr 17 2017
10:03:25 PM
Hello Tosh,

Haha, Asian Modified BML is an appropriate name. Mine is somewhat similar. Can't find Gerber yogurt drink too! Had to mix plain yogurt and fruit juice.

My suggies also have very minimal odor from the diet (which makes me lazier and lazier to clean their cage )

Glad to hear your suggies are doing great. Enjoy your 'parenthood'

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders