Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Vegan Sugar Glider
Vegan Sugar Glider
Food, Diet
Apr 07 2017
01:12:20 PM
I thought that title would get people to click. I have recently taken in a rescue glider and I want to share my experience so that this can be a learning opportunity for others in the community.

Pancake is a 4 year old standard gray glider. She was adopted as soon as she was old enough OOP from a small time breeder in Ohio to a young girl (barely 20) that had a glider from PPP.

Pancake's new owner "L" was and still is a vegan.

Over the course of 4 years, Pancake and her cagemate transitioned from the PPP diet to a non-diet diet. Which means they were fed fruits and veggies but barely any meat or eggs (outside of the occasional meat flavored baby food).

Fast Forward to today. Pancake's cagemate died from a fatal fall in their cage and Pancake is now with me and at the vet for what I think is HLP. Well....you watch:

We learned that from her diet and lack of proper vet care, Pancake either never developed muscles or her muscles broke down because she was literally not getting enough protein. This means that she does not use her back legs to walk or climb.

She is on the road to recovery now, on antibiotics, calcium and carnivore care food 3x a day. She is slowly being introduced to food and nutrients so that her body does not go into shock.

Only time will tell if she can recover and if she will have long term damage. This is why a good diet and yearly exams are critical for proper glider care.

Hopefully, I will be able to post updates as she recovers. #prayersforpancake

Edited by - aubreydenise on Apr 07 2017 01:13:16 PM
Food, Diet
Apr 07 2017
02:24:59 PM
BennyNace Glider Visit BennyNace's Photo Album 100 Posts
It breaks my heart to read about this. Those poor babies. I really hope pancake is able to Make a full recovery.
Food, Diet
Apr 07 2017
03:02:46 PM
NyxandBenny Glider Visit NyxandBenny's Photo Album AB, CA 166 Posts
Heartbreaking. Thanks for sharing so hopefully people won't try that again. Most Animals aren't vegan so why would anyone try this. Flabbergasted!
Food, Diet
Apr 08 2017
12:54:37 AM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
Nyxandbenny : that's called ideology, when people are so sure of what they want to believe that they convince themselves that it will necessarily be beneficial for others to do the same as what they perceive as a good thing for themselves... unfortunate but not uncommon (the term "cruel to be kind" takes another meaning)
Food, Diet
May 13 2017
07:57:12 PM
Jenny2017 Joey Visit Jenny2017's Photo Album 10 Posts
Aubreydenise, so sorry for the loss of Pancake's mate and her disability. Thank you for sharing to help inform other people. I hope her recovery is good and speedy!
Vegan Sugar Glider

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Vegan Sugar Glider