Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Question about introducing sugar gliders!!
Information
Apr 11 2017
06:19:25 PM
Hi, so i currently have 2 different pairs of sugar gliders in separate cages that i plan on introducing together eventually and putting in one big cage (first pair is 2 neutered males and second pair is a neutered male and female) but now I just rescued another male but he's not neutered and I've heard that you can't have males together unless they're ALL neutered but I've also heard you can have them together it just may take a little longer of a process to introduce and it just depends on the sugar gliders temperament too so I'm not sure what to believe so my question is..is there anyway that I'd be able to introduce all 5 of them together and have them all in the same cage eventually even though the new guy is not neutered? Please any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance! :)
Information
Apr 14 2017
12:59:58 AM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
Sorry no one has responded to your question about introductions. I've never introduced gliders so I really don't know what's involved and I don't want to give you the wrong information. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will reply. In the meantime, I would encourage you to look at other posts from people, as there is a lot of information about the proper way to introduce gliders...timing, technique, scent swapping, etc. Best of luck to you!
Information
Apr 14 2017
08:08:28 AM
Clp937 Starting Member 3 Posts
OK thank you!!
Information
Apr 14 2017
11:58:56 AM
Ketev Starting Member 3 Posts
From what I have gathered from my research on the subject is the following:

1) The number of neutered males does not matter.

2) Intact males tend to have dominance issues. Keeping two intact males together is not advised. Most successful intact male pairing tend to come from siblings born/raised together. (I have one of these)

3) If you have more than one intact male in a group or colony, it is not advised to introduce a lone female to the intact male pair as there may develop a dominance issue to mate.

4) If you introduce a lone female, it is advised to neuter one of the two males before the introduction.

5) If you plan to keep your two intact males happy, there needs to be a minimum of 1:1 intact male/female ratio. (But even this may not work)

6) Colony breeding is the only time I have heard of a dual intact male with females situation working on a regular basis, but that is a ratio of 2 males and 10-12 females.

Edited by - Ketev on Apr 14 2017 12:00:46 PM
Information
Apr 14 2017
12:09:15 PM
Clp937 Starting Member 3 Posts
Ok thank you, so your saying that you think since all my males are neutered besides one and i only have 1 female that they should all be able to be successfully introduced together at some point right??
Information
Apr 14 2017
10:26:14 PM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong. I think he may be saying it's possible to get them living together, but it is just as possible that you will need to keep them in separate cages.

Also not all neutered males stop mating and stop being dominant. My male is neutered and he still tries to mate with my female when she's in heat. He is also very territorial.

My worry is that the males will fight over the female or the males might hurt the female while trying to mate with her or hurt each other.

I'm no expert but I think you should first try and get the lone male in with the female and male. This way you can see if he will get along with the female and the other male. If they don't then you can try putting him with the neutered males and just keep two separate cages.

Which ever cage you put him in you'll probably need to do scent swapping for a while. Males are tricky, males with a female involved is trickier. I have no experience in introducing males together yet.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders