GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Bonding tips for 3 new joeys
Question
Apr 11 2017
11:48:13 PM
Hi All,

A week ago I got three baby gliders from a local breeder. I'm also a first time owner. I think I have them settled in and comfortable with their cage and food by now and I'd like to start the bonding process. I have some questions/concerns though about the best approach:

- I work from home, so should I put the cage next to my desk for a week or so before attempting any bonding pouch steps? Right now they are in a separate room all to themselves and they basically run into their pouches when I enter the room.
- Should I separate them somehow when using a bonding pouch? They all tend to sleep in the same pouch and I think separating them somehow will cause alot of fear/stress since it would be a very hands on process.
- Should I approach bonding differently with a group of 3 as opposed to 1 or 2?
- Would it be a good idea to take the pouch they're all sleeping in out of the cage and just string that around my neck? It seems to me that using my hands to get them in a different pouch would maybe make them more fearful of hands altogether since I'm always trying to coral them.

In general, I'm in no rush and would like to make the process as painless as possible for them. And full disclosure, since I just couldn't tear myself away, I have picked up the pouch they're all in from the cage a few times, then held it on my lap for a bit. That was accompanied by a whole lot of crabbing and lunging from one of the gliders.

Thanks a ton for reading this much and your advice is greatly appreciated.

Keith
Question
Apr 12 2017
01:34:48 AM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
You could get a tent or glider proof your bathroom/room and play with them when they wake up. This way the get use to you.

Try sleeping with fleece squares, a shirt, or a whole pouch. Whatever you choose, get it smelling like you. If you choose the fleece squares put in in thier pouch, if you choose a shirt put it in the cage, if you choose the pouch have that as the pouch they sleep in. This way they get use to your scent.

The only problem with just stringing the pouch around your neck is that unbounded gliders may try and escape from you. That's why people like bonding bags that zip. You can always try and get them into the bonding bag with treats. My sugar gliders tend to love honey, yogurt bites, and mealworms.

Every glider is different. What works for one person may not work for you. What works for one of your gliders may not work on the others.

When I first got gliders I did tent time at night. As time went on and I became more comfortable I began taking them out during the day time not in the tent. I never used a bonding pouch. All of my sugar gliders now use my shirt as a safe place.

Most of my gliders I bonded with by taking naps with them. I would stick them in my shirt and then sleep. The only problem with it is that you may role over them. And the gliders I did this with were born in my house so I've been handling them since they were babies. I just thought I would add that to give you ideas when you are more comfortable with them.

Best of luck!!
Question
Apr 14 2017
11:24:47 AM
homank Starting Member USA 9 Posts
Thanks for reply!

But, I think I had a bit of set back today and would like to know what you and others think. Here's the story:

So I started the bonding yesterday. I figured the best way at first would be to take out their pouch they all sleep in together and put it around my neck. This worked well since they had no interest in leaving the pouch and also there was very little crabbing (only when there was a sudden movement, loud noise, or if I put my face too close, but it subsides after a few seconds). They slept for the most part and I did that for about 2-3 hours.

However today was a bit rough. To start off with, they were all sleeping in a fleece hammock together which I couldn't get around my neck. So I decided at trying my hand in getting them into a bonding pouch. I tried putting the pouch around them in this hammock while slowly trying to turn the hammock inside out into the pouch. This wasn't easy at all and they crabbed, poo'ed and pee'd. At this point they're in a pouch that was very soiled, so I figured to get them in another pouch. I was able to do that but then I noticed one of them had poo all over his hand. After a while I decided to try and clean his hand, which then in turn caused more crabbing and poo and pee. Then I figured I tormented them all enough and decided to quit and put them back. I gave the one with poo on his hand a treat to try and make up for everything, ha. Now they're in pouches back in their cage.

Question is, how should I go about rectifying this. I'm sure this damaged whatever little trust I had with them.

Thanks for reading this far again!

Keith
Question
Apr 14 2017
06:09:56 PM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
I don't think that would have damaged the bonding process. The only thing that did was give you experience. Sugar gliders crab, poo, and pee that doesn't mean that you messed up bonding. If they do end up using the bathroom on themselves, don't worry about cleaning it up, they clean themselves.

Next time get them in a pouch and keep them there. Then go around doing your everyday things. Over time sugar gliders do get use to handling.

No one is perfect when they first get a glider. Don't be scared to make little mistakes. Hell, I've had my gliders for a year and a half and I still make mistakes. As long as the mistakes don't harm them, you'll be fine.

Good luck! Feel free to ask as many questions as you want.
Question
Apr 14 2017
08:27:19 PM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
Great advice Lilsistar!
I understand how you must feel, Keith. My glider got loose last night and I had a heck of a time trying to catch her. As she was running through the house she was pooping and I managed to step in it. I was getting increasingly frustrated. I didn't do anything to hurt her but I was definitely upset and very impatient. Actually, I think this is why I was finally successful catching her....she kinda froze when I raised my voice. Afterwards, I felt horribly guilty and afraid that I had damaged the bonding process. I held her for over an hour trying to regain her trust, snuggling with her and speaking softly. She seemed relaxed and calm, which was a great comfort. My point is that we all have times when we wish we had of handled situations differently. The important thing is to learn and move on. I'm sure your gliders know how much you love and care for them.
Question
Apr 16 2017
02:17:12 PM
homank Starting Member USA 9 Posts
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the guidance and it's good to know I'm not the only one that made a mistake and that it's not irreversible.

Thanks again,
Keith

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders