Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Escape glider
Escape glider
Information
Apr 14 2017
08:07:30 PM
I'm having issues with my female glider who loves to escape and explore. I've had her for about 2 months and we have made progress in the bonding process. She used to run away from me and stay as far away as possible. Now she stays close, but as soon as I reach for her she runs off. I keep her in a zippered bonding pouch when I go out. Last night (right after we returned home thank goodness), she managed to chew through the mesh on her bonding pouch and she crawled out. It horrifies me to think that this could happen when we're out somewhere. Has anyone had this issue before? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Information
Apr 14 2017
08:56:07 PM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
Try getting down as close to the floor as you can and slowly move your hands towards her and scoop her up. This may help you when it comes to catching her.

When I first got Bell from my brother, she was scared of me. If I went to go pick her up she would run. I figured out that she was scared of my size and a big handing coming out from the sky to grab her.

That's why I decided to get on her level and scoop her not grab her. I've noticed grabbing freaks gliders out. I think it's because that's what predators do.

I don't put Finn in a bonding pouch because he always chews it and I'm afraid he'll destroy it.

I rescued a sugar glider that was known to rip out the stitching, causing a hole, and escape from it. He hasn't done it in the time I've had him.
Information
Apr 15 2017
01:34:16 AM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
Thanks Lilsistar! I appreciate your advice. It makes sense that having a big hand approach her from above would be very intimidating. She was definitely freaked out. Right after I caught her she bit me pretty hard...something she hasn't done since I first got her and she didn't know me. My other glider used to open the zipper of the bonding pouch from the inside and crawl out to me. It even happened in a restaurant once. It was kind of sweet in a way, but extremely nervewracking. Anyway, I'll try your suggestion, thank you.
Information
Aug 13 2017
03:39:03 AM
sahana.kargi Joey Visit sahana.kargi's Photo Album 37 Posts
Wow you have a very determined glider. My glider has never managed to chew through the mesh thankfully. The day after I got him, his sleep schedule was all messed up as he slept most of the night. Then in the middle of the day, while I was at work, he woke up and became super active and tried chewing at his mesh. He tried but didn't get anywhere. The mesh part in my binding pouch is very thick, I don't think I could even cur it with scissors.
Good luck and I hope your glider doesn't manage to escape ever:)
Information
Nov 17 2017
08:46:57 AM
Mhamilton85 Starting Member 9 Posts
This is probably an old post but I think this could help others. The bonding pouch I got from my youngest glider's owner was the usual pouch but she could push her way out of it pretty easily so I made one. I'm NOT a good sewer but this was very simple to do. I used 2 layers of thick fleece and plastic dog enclosure mesh. You can find it at a fabric store. It basically soft plastic but thick and strong. It put it in their cage so that they could get used to it. THEY LOVE IT! since it's thick it's really dark even with the mesh window. Plus it's got a more sturdy squeeze since rather than just feeling it hang it feels way more secure and the swaying is less dramatic. I've made a few more so they have options. They won't sleep in anything else. They are lots of directions online. Trust me. It's really not hard.

Hope this helps.
Information
Nov 17 2017
03:54:28 PM
Scoria Glider Visit Scoria's Photo Album Scoria's Journal 135 Posts
MHamilton what is the name of that mesh? I've been looking for that.
Escape glider

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Escape glider