Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Are philodendron poisonous? Help please
Health related
Apr 19 2017
07:48:20 AM
Hello, this is my first question here. Last night my smallest glider "luna" escaped. My other colony of gliders were barking and trying to tell me this morning but I had no idea what they were talking about lol. I have a philodendron plant that I kept because I never could find any info on whether or not they are poisonous. I noticed that she had eaten a considerable amount of several leaves and I'm worried. Does anyone know if they are toxic and has anyone had this happen before? The plant is gone now ( should have been a long time ago) but it was very old and I was attached to it.
Health related
Apr 19 2017
09:03:28 AM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
I think it is poisonous. I decided to look it up and found that it can be harmful to humans, dogs, and cats. Since it harms them my guess is it can harm sugar gliders.

www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/philodendron/

medlineplus.gov/ency/article/002872.htm

abcnews.go.com/Technology/JustOneThing/potentially-harmful-house-plants/story?id=8589505

I linked my sources so you can fact check me. I hope she's ok.
Health related
Apr 19 2017
10:30:40 AM
BennyNace Glider Visit BennyNace's Photo Album 100 Posts
Thank you so much. IDK how I wasn't able to find these sites. Unfortunately her vet won't be able to see her until 5 and the poison control line for animals wants $69 just to talk on the phone. I guess it's a waiting game now. Hopefully I don't lose my mind. If she does I will just feel sick knowing I shouldn't have had that plant in my house.
Health related
Apr 19 2017
02:49:39 PM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
Just keep an eye out for strange behavior. Try giving her lots of water? If she does have toxins in her you may be able to flush it out?

I know how hard it is to loose a sugar glider and I hope that you don't have to go through that.

Don't beat yourself up over it. People make mistakes, best thing now is to learn from it and prevent it from happening again.
Health related
Apr 19 2017
07:09:07 PM
NyxandBenny Glider Visit NyxandBenny's Photo Album AB, CA 166 Posts
If it's been a few hours and you don't notice him pawing at face or any swelling in the face and he takes treats no problem he should be fine. The scary part would be tgere throat swelling closed but i think tgat would happen in a very short time period. Also watch his poop if it's runny it's probably from the plant. Be on the safe side as many store bought plants are much more toxic. Always double check the plants you purchase and don't rely on staff to know if they are or not.
Now I'm curious to know what can be done medically if they do injest anything. There throats are small like a toothpick...
Health related
Apr 19 2017
07:44:31 PM
She ingested it sometime last night when she got loose, now it's 8:35 pm and she seems OK. No swelling, no signs of discomfort. Though, she won't take any treats, I did get her to lick an ice cube to wash her mouth out.
I would like to know what the vet themselves would do, (other than a subcutaneous iv) because my vet was totally useless. They couldn't even tell me if the plant was indeed poisonous. Just gave me the poison control number and offered an appointment for 5 hours later. I think symptoms would present within 2 hours of ingestion and be over within 24 hours. I read this on one of the websites I found. It says to give milk but we can't necessarily do that in this case I believe? If she eats tonight I will be super happy. She is just a baby, only around 13 weeks oop.
Thank you for your help. I'll update in the morning :)
Health related
Apr 20 2017
02:43:02 AM
minime3 Glider Visit minime3's Photo Album USA 50 Posts
When My glider, Minnie, got into some fruit flavored trident gum that contained xylitol, I rushed her to the vet and they gave her a charcoal treatment. They did a blood test 3 days after and results were normal. She also had gained weight so the vet said she would be fine and so far so good. That was almost 6 months ago.
Health related
Apr 20 2017
08:15:37 AM
Wow, I never would have thought the could pump charcoal into a tiny little glider! That's pretty cool. Luna seems to be doing fine today. In fact she felt well enough to escape again last night. I have no clue how she is doing it unless she is lifting the doors up to get out. I twist tied them shut so hopefully she is in her cage tomorrow morning.
Health related
Apr 20 2017
01:22:55 PM
NyxandBenny Glider Visit NyxandBenny's Photo Album AB, CA 166 Posts
Lol yup they are sneaky. I use paperclips to lock down all doors.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders