Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Reposting because of glitch
Information
Apr 23 2017
09:02:00 AM
(BennyNace, I saw your reply but somehow couldn't reply so I'm reposting).

So I'll be moving from Virginia to Oregon this summer. I've had my gliders for 6 years (they're both rescues, I believe they're in the neighborhood of 7-8 years old) and I would love for them to come with me, but I'm trying to figure out the logistics. We would be stopping at hotels, but how do you handle things like stopping for bathroom/food/etc? Obviously can't leave the little guys in the car, it'd be too hot. I've thought about using a bonding pouch, but would that still potentially cause issues? I'm also worried about legality in the states along the way (not that I expect to get pulled over, but just in case). And how do you handle hotels? Do you tell them, or do you just bring the cage in and it isn't an issue?

Edited by - chemistree on Apr 23 2017 09:02:19 AM
Information
Apr 23 2017
01:24:42 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
I can't answer all of your questions, I traveled cross country twice in 2014, both times were in cooler weather though. Going from MD to AZ we left in February and the gliders traveled in a RV, in their set up vacation enclosure (secured). We left them inside the RV for bathroom breaks and they were brought into hotels overnight. We didn't disclose them to hotel.

I returned in November of same year, traveling back a slightly different route. This time I was alone with my pets and we all traveled in my suv. I kept their vacation enclosure set up, but they traveled belted up front in a carrier cage, my dog had most of the back seat. The same, for bathroom break, gassing up vehicle, and grabbing a Belvita for breakfast, all pets were left in the vehicle, I had no other choice. I walked my dog for potty breaks, the gliders remained asleep in their carrier. Again, everyone went to the hotel for night, I didn't disclose the gliders to the hotel, but I did disclose my dog all but one night.

I don't believe I traveled through any illegal states, but I would think if just passing through and staying overnight, it shouldn't be a problem.

As for it being too hot to leave in car for potty breaks, I suggest for daytime traveling having them in a bonding pouch inside a small cage/carrier secured, or a small carrier you can take with you.

Pic of small cage carrier setup, you can swap a bonding pouch with a cage pouch that can be zipped up and secured for taking inside for bathroom breaks.

This is how I set up for night stays in hotel, placing the cage carrier inside their vacation enclosure and tying fleece on the top door to prevent accidental shut-in/out. Gliders could come and go, food and water set up, as well as sleeping pouch were kept hooked on travel cage carrier (which would be secured by seat belt for travel time). They had access to their travel wheel, some extra space and toys for overnight.

Other than those options, you could also purchase small, canvas type carrier, or use a bonding pouch, both would have to be secured to seat backs whether used upfront or back seat. The bonding pouch can hang over head rest and use shoulder strap of belt to hold the hanging strap of bonding pouch securely, or use complete set belt to hold canvas carrier.

Edited by - TJones09 on Apr 23 2017 01:27:18 PM
Information
Apr 23 2017
01:30:50 PM
chemistree Starting Member Visit chemistree's Photo Album 3 Posts
Thank you, that's reassuring! I have traveled with them before, but only on 5-6 hour drives and they don't love being in the travel carrier (I keep it secured in the front seat), nor do they love their vacation cage. I think I'll take your advice, and in theory it should be ok. They don't seem to care for change much so this should be interesting :P
Information
Apr 23 2017
02:20:32 PM
BennyNace Glider Visit BennyNace's Photo Album 100 Posts
I think they would be comfortable in the bonding pouch during the day while you drive. I would maybe cut up some fruit and keep it a Tupperware dish in a cooler maybe, and give them a piece now and then so they get some water from it. I don't think the hotel will care too much about a caged animal and I wouldn't worry about the legal part. If youre just passing through a state, I seriously doubt any officer will hassle you.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders