Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
General help on health and possible salt issues
Health related
Apr 23 2017
10:09:15 AM
A bout a year ago my mom decided to get sugar gliders but she refuses to do any research before she does anything! I went on a semester abroad for college and I came back and they had a bunch of new toys. I was happy to see they enjoyed their new toys but there are a few issues.
1) my mom got a salt lick (i did not know what it was until a few months later!)
2) they are tearing everything apart including their stealth wheel (i made sure we got them a glider safe wheel)

How can I help them stay entertained?
What other recommendations do you guys have for toys?
Most importantly they tore apart the salt lick and I am worried if they will be okay! I did not know it was a salt lick and if i had i would have immediately removed it but it is already removed and I took the broken bits out. I know that much salt is dangerous not to mention whatever was holding the salt together... I just want to know how to do better for them with toys and diet...
Health related
Apr 26 2017
05:30:31 PM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
I'm sorry no one has commented. I don't know if the salt lick will harm them or not. Probably best that you took it out :)

I find sugar gliders get destructive if they are bored. First off you should make sure your cage is big enough. I rescued a sugar glider who was in a tiny cage. He would destroy everything. I've had him for about a month now and he hasn't destroyed a thing in his big cage.

There are many ways to get toys. You can buy some. Bird toys and some cat toys (no catnip) are good for gliders. You can also make some toys.

www.sugarglider.com/glidergossip/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=59501#latestpost

On this thread TJones09 gave me some good ideas on toys. You could probably make some for yours.

You can also give them more out of cage time. That will help their boredom.

I'm no expert on diets. You can find some information on them in the gliderpedia. I use instant hpw from exotic nutrition. Some people say it's a horrible diet. I personally like it. The vet says my gliders are healthy so yeah.

Good luck. I hope they are fine even after eating the salt. :)
Health related
Apr 26 2017
07:24:40 PM
KatieDidnt Joey NJ, USA 23 Posts
Like lilsistar said, the gliderpedia page on diets is a great place to get info! A good, varied diet will increase the health of your glider (obviously lol) but also reduce boredom (you'd probably get bored eating the same exact thing every day, and so will your glider).

Are they tearing their toys apart with their hands or are they chewing them to death? Maybe it's boredom, but also some suggies are just chewers. Try getting them some edible branches to nibble on. Here's a list of glider safe trees: www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/807750/Safe_Woods_and_Plant_Toxicity#Post807750

I've never tried it myself, but I know a few glider parents who put yogurt into a plastic straw, and then put the straw into one of those holey plastic ball things (for the life of me, I can't think of what they're called lol . . . wiffle ball maybe?). The gliders have to work to get the treat out. It keeps them busy, AND gives them something to chew (if your suggies do turn out to be chewers). Foraging toys in general are a great way to keep gliders entertained. (my girls pretty much ignore everything unless there's food involved ha)

Cheap toys are definitely a great way to go for destructive suggies. Lilsistar had some great ideas. I usually find a bunch of good stuff at the dollar store. Cheap cat toys (no catnip), little plastic toys to put in their ball pit, etc.

As for the salt lick, I wish I had more info for you! I'd say it's definitely good that you took it out. And if you're worried, pay extra attention and watch for any change in behavior/bathroom habits. If you notice anything worrisome, take them to the vet! Better safe than sorry, right?

I'm glad these gliders have you looking out for them! Good luck!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders