Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat
I need help !!! :'(
Question
Apr 24 2017
02:47:55 PM
I am new to this forum. I recently rehomed 2 sugar gliders about 3 months ago, one male named Biscuit, and a female named Olive. They are approximately 2 years old and the don't mind being in the pouch, and I can put my hand in there and pet them a bit, but they will not let me pick them up, they are quite skiddish. I don't know what else I can do to help bond with them. I have tried getting them to lick honey off my fingers, had them in the pouch, left my shirt in their pen, and let them crawl on me. I feel like I am losing the battle and am losing motivation. Someone please help me I want to keep them around

Question
Apr 24 2017
04:13:07 PM
BennyNace Glider Visit BennyNace's Photo Album 100 Posts
Hello, I have 4 gliders myself and each one took a different amount of time to bond. None of them were re-homed, and they were younger than yours when I got them. Your gliders already lived somewhere else and had that world ripped right out from under them. Just keep in mind, 3 months in a 2 year period isn't that long. It will take a while for them to adjust and get to know you, but once they do feel safe with you, it is a wonderful feeling. So don't give up, they can sense your feelings too.
My best bonding weapon is meal worms. They look at with glowing admiration when they know I have mealies :). Also, have you ever tried putting them in your shirt? I use to put them in my shirt ( in pouch if you're scared of getting bitten) and just do things around the house. i spent many hours with a glider somewhere on me and still do. Lots of gliders prefer not to be picked up. It's more like them holding you if that makes sense. Try to hide the palm of your hand and approach with the back. This way, they don't feel like they're about to get grabbed.
Have you tried tent time? Seemed to help with mine.
Hope this helped some. Hate for you to feel discouraged. It sounds like they really need you
Question
Apr 24 2017
04:22:28 PM
kbarber Starting Member Canada 1 Posts
I have tried to put them in my shirt or between my shirt and a fleece sweater but they bite SO MUCH. also I cannot trim their nails so that's a little rough.
I don't know anyone with sugs and am not sure if this length of time is abnormal for them to still be so skiddish or not. I have them on me for at least 5 hours a day. and I do not feed them meal worms, I feed them treats, as the guy I got them from told me that once I start feeding them mealworms their poop and pee will start to smell worse????

What is tent time ??
Question
Apr 24 2017
04:26:32 PM
Ketev Starting Member 3 Posts
I recently rehomed 2 gliders and they were already very tame. Even so, they were certain to nibble on my fingers, testing my resolve. I found that a combination of what Benny said worked. I would ball up a fist, with the thumb inside so that no exposed individual fingers were available, and placed a mealworm on the back of my hand for them to grab and eat.

They have been here less than two months and love to jump on my fist/arms as soon as they see me now.
Question
Apr 24 2017
04:37:18 PM
BennyNace Glider Visit BennyNace's Photo Album 100 Posts
I don't notice any extra smell from mealies. They're all neutered which helps with smell anyway. To answer your question, tent time is where you sit in a tent with your suggies and let them play. It just creates a safe place for them to play and you don't have to worry about escape. Take a book or your phone in with you, some treats, and teaser toys and wait for them to come to you. If they see that you're not going to chase and possibly eat them, they will start coming to you.
Question
Apr 26 2017
09:54:10 PM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
I have had my gliders for 6 years, and they don't like to be picked up either! I always use a piece of fleece to pick them up because they will run from my hand or bite me. They will get on my hand if I have yogurt drops or mealworms.

Two of my gliders are reasonably friendly and the other two are skittish, I think they just have different personalities. It takes time and patience, don't give up! Just spend time with them every day if you can.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat