Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat
Which is the best Combo? Girl/ Girl, Boy/Boy or Girl/Boy
Question
Apr 26 2017
08:23:49 AM
I am thinking about getting a set of sugargliders next year and am trying to research as much as possible so I can make the right decision. Which is the best combo set as pairs regarding temperament. I know they get lonely so I want to get two. But does it matter which ones you get? Will two males fight a lot? Is it recommended to get two of different sex? I was looking to get two girls but if its recommended to get one of each sex I will. I am worried about fighting. Thanks.
Question
Apr 26 2017
10:31:17 AM
BennyNace Glider Visit BennyNace's Photo Album 100 Posts
I'm no behavior expert but I can tell you my personal experience. I have two separate sets of gliders. One set of boys and a set that's a boy and a girl. Back when I got my first glider, I only bought him because the breeder didn't tell me they were happier as a set. He got depressed and stopped eating so that's when I got another male. (they are both neutered which has alot to do with temperament) they loved eachother from the start. I wanted to get another male to add to the pair but the "alpha" would not accept him and they balled up. So then came the second cage and the female. It took a few introductions but once they both started feeling lonely,they started to get along. Now they do fine. The female is a little crabby sometimes but every glider is different.
I don't really think it matters whatever combo you choose, but I would suggest getting the male/males neutered if you get one. There are lots of reasons, temperament being one. Good luck!
Question
Apr 26 2017
05:11:12 PM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
I'm no expert but personally I think two girls are best. No neutering required ever. When it comes to temperament of sugar gliders that really just depends on the personality of the glider not the gender.

Some unneutered males fight for dominance. Usually males who grew up together will get along fine. Especially if there is no female in the mix. If you ever decided to get more gliders it can be more difficult to add to a pair of males.

Females tend to be easier to introduce. They aren't as territorial as males making it easier to add to them later if you ever decided to get more.

Of course there will always be exceptions to what I say because all gliders are different and some people have had different experiences. I'm just telling you this based off of the things I've read and some of my experiences.
Question
Apr 26 2017
09:36:31 PM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
I started out with two girls and they were fine together until I brought in a male. I had to separate my girls after that because they turned on each other.

I agree with lilsistar, get two girls and you won't have to worry about breeding, mating wounds and neutering.
Question
Jun 04 2017
11:55:55 PM
SugarGliderLover85 Starting Member SugarGliderLover85's Journal MA, USA 0 Posts
I have two neutered males and both are under a year old! I love them so much. I prefer males over females. Females are more moody, though I have never owned a female sugar glider so I do not know if that's true or not. My boys are so mellow and chill. Crab little. My Stripe barks for me at night.
Question
Aug 20 2017
08:44:11 PM
Jennfaith Joey Visit Jennfaith's Photo Album USA 16 Posts
I find that two neutered males or two females is the best match.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat