Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Air travel with sugar gliders
Information
Apr 26 2017
10:33:11 PM
Has anyone ever traveled by air with their suggies? I have three girls that I would love to take with me when I take short weekend trips. They travel by car with me everywhere I go, But I'm concerned about airline regulations and rules. I would prefer they go as my carry on and not in the cargo hold. Thanks in advance.

Fiona, Fynnley and Pipers Mom
Information
Apr 27 2017
07:02:45 PM
NyxandBenny Glider Visit NyxandBenny's Photo Album AB, CA 166 Posts
All I know is no airline will allow them in the cabin. You'd have to check with the airline before hand to see if they are equipped to house live animals in cargo hold.
Information
May 02 2017
01:46:49 AM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
I recently travelled by air with one of my gliders. Like NyxandBenny said, airlines won't allow them in the cabin, only cargo. So I followed the breeders suggestion and registered my glider as a service animal. Still, United said only service dogs are allowed in the cabin. So rather than check with them directly when I arrived at the airport, I waited until I got to security and told TSA that I had a service animal. They were extremely accommodating and I was able to bring my glider in the cabin on 3 separate flights. I certainly don't blame you for wanting to bring your babies with you when you travel. I'm the same way. Having said that, and while my experience was positive, I'm not sure if I would do it again. It was still stressful, especially when I had to remove my glider from her pouch so TSA could scan it (I had just adopted her the day before and I was so afraid she would run off). Only you can decide what's best for you and your gliders though. Wishing you all the best!
Information
Aug 13 2017
03:32:10 AM
sahana.kargi Joey Visit sahana.kargi's Photo Album 37 Posts
I just wanted to make a quick correction. You can't register your glider as a service animal but you can register them as an emoiltional support animal (which i assume is what you meant). Service animals perform a specific task and are trained to do so while emotional support animals just offer companionship. There is also
No such thing as a service animal, just a service dog or a service mianture horse. If you get yours registered as a ESA, then they will be Be able to travel with you for no additional cost, but it does downed on the airline.
Sorry for the quick correction but wanted to clear any doubt
Information
Aug 13 2017
03:33:21 AM
sahana.kargi Joey Visit sahana.kargi's Photo Album 37 Posts
I just wanted to make a quick correction. You can't register your glider as a service animal but you can register them as an emoiltional support animal (which i assume is what you meant). Service animals perform a specific task and are trained to do so while emotional support animals just offer companionship. There is also
No such thing as a service animal, just a service dog or a service mianture horse. If you get yours registered as a ESA, then they will be Be able to travel with you for no additional cost, but it does downed on the airline.
Sorry for the quick correction but wanted to clear any doubt

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders