Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Cages
Cages
Question
May 02 2017
01:15:53 AM
I'm looking to get a new cage and am wondering what's best for gliders...a tall one or wide one. Based on previous posts here I'm leaning towards the Brisbane or Madagascar. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Question
May 02 2017
09:15:52 AM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
Your main goal is to get a tall cage. Gliders like to jump and glide. This is more achievable in tall cages. I personally really like exotic nutrition cages.

www.exoticnutrition.com/Departments/Sugar-Glider-Products/Sugar-Glider-Cages-and-Parts.aspx

I have the madagascar cage and I love it. Nice big doors, sturdy, easy to clean, and a nice size. You can also get the Congo cage. It is appears to be a bigger version of the madagascar. So if money isn't an option you can look at that.

www.sugarglider.com/suggested.asp

You can also look at other cages at this link.
Question
May 02 2017
11:38:17 AM
claire1216 Joey Visit claire1216's Photo Album 25 Posts
I personally love the Midwest Critter Nation double unit cage! Honestly it is well worth the money. The full width double doors are perfect for getting into the cage and cleaning it. They are a little expensive brand new, but well worth it since they hold up quite well. I kept an eye out for them on my local Craigslist and scored one for $150. My gliders love it and have plenty of room to jump and run around. If I ever choose to expand the cage too, I can always add on a third tier which is a plus! I highly recommend this cage.

*Don't get this confused with the Midwest Ferret Nation cage. The Ferret Nation cage bar spacing is too wide for sugar gliders. The Critter Nation is best suited for small animals like sugar gliders.
Question
May 02 2017
03:29:03 PM
KatieDidnt Joey NJ, USA 23 Posts
I wonder about this, too! I've definitely heard from multiple sources that taller is better because sugar gliders like to glide. That never made sense to me though, because it's not like sugar gliders glide vertically. So wouldn't wider be better since it gives them more horizontal room to glide in? I don't know.

I have the Madagascar cage and my suggies seem to like it but I've always wondered if they'd like something wider better.

If somebody could explain why taller is better for gliding that'd be great lol because it's always confused me.
Question
May 02 2017
08:11:29 PM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
Great question
I was curious about that as well and the only thing I can think of is that gliders tend to glide at an angle? Hopefully someone can clear this up for us.
Thank you all for your wonderful and helpful advice!
Question
May 02 2017
08:25:14 PM
Great question
I was curious about that as well and the only thing I can think of is that gliders tend to glide at an angle? Hopefully someone can clear this up for us.
Thank you all for your wonderful and helpful advice!
Question
May 02 2017
10:02:21 PM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
Haha I never really thought about it like that. I'm still going to stand by my tall cage thingy for multiple reasons.

1 hanging toys can be kinda long so it fits better in the tall cages.

2 they live in trees and enjoy climbing and jumping. Can't really climb if it's a short cage.

3 I'm not sure if this is all gliders but mine are happiest when they are farthest from the ground. They like my shoulder if they are on me. They like to chill in my bed (bunk bed by the celling) and if something scares them and they are in the cage they run to the highest corner and hide.

4 tall cages also tend to fit better in rooms. For example the Madagascar cage can fit through door ways while the double wide cage has more difficulty and takes up more floor space.

So yeah, tallness is where it's at. Of course if you can have a tall and wide cage that is far superior.
Question
May 03 2017
02:49:01 AM
Great reasons, totally makes sense, thanks!
Cages

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Cages