Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Pregnant Glider help.
Pregnant Glider help.
Question
May 06 2017
09:36:02 PM
So i might be adopting a new female glider. The current owner thinks she may be pregnant. although its not a 100% I was wondering if anyone can provide information on steps needing to be taken if so or have any good sites to read. does she need to be isolated? will it be fine to pair her? I have 3 others current two already paired and one alone im considering maybe having two cages each with a pair. but Id like as much infor as i can get about care and steps for gliders with joeys in pouch.
Question
May 07 2017
08:04:54 PM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
I've never had a pregnant glider so I'm not sure what to suggest. You're very wise to get as much information as you can. I'm sure there is a lot of info online as well as YouTube videos (m.youtube.com/watch?v=3ETMvB4GhZ8). From what I understand, the following is a really helpful website.

www.suzsugargliders.com/breedingsugargliders.htm

Wishing you all the best!
Question
May 08 2017
02:08:28 AM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
Is she pregnant or with baby in pouch? If she has a baby in pouch then he pouch will get poofy looking over time. She will have one lump if she's having one Joey and two if she's having twins. Twins are harder to tell because she'll be symmetrical which can be mistaken for being fat. Or at least I mistake it for fat XD

You would keep her by herself until you are positive she's not expecting or until she has the Joeys and they are old enough to live on their own.

Usually sugar gliders that are bonded to each other will help raise the babies ( at least that was the case with me). Sugar gliders that aren't bonded and come from a different pod can kill the babies.

Expecting gliders need more nutrients than the average glider. Especially protein. You'll probably have to give her extra of her staple. Some times the diet might have special instructions for expecting gliders. So yeah look into that.

www.sugarglider.com/glidergossip/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=54797

I found this thread to help me when I had an expecting mother living with a male that wasn't the father.
Question
May 10 2017
11:47:22 AM
Turtletot Starting Member Visit Turtletot's Photo Album 9 Posts
Thanks guys. That's why I'm curious. Cause she's saying she needs a male or will be stressed. But other sites are saying males can tell when the babies aren't theirs and will kill em.
Question
May 10 2017
07:03:03 PM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
I think both are right and it really depends on the male. I've heard of males killing their own babies, and other males who 'adopt' another males baby. Nothing is set in stone and the best you can do is what you're already doing by researching and being vigilant. Wishing you the very best!
Question
May 11 2017
10:54:37 PM
Turtletot Starting Member Visit Turtletot's Photo Album 9 Posts
Thanks for all the info guys, but she last minute decided to sell it to her daughters teacher to be a class pet. (Like what?) I personally think that's a terrible idea. Oh well wasnt my decision it is what it is. I told her if it ends up being returned for any reason let me know.
Pregnant Glider help.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Pregnant Glider help.