Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Multiple Problems Not A Good Owner :(
Question
May 11 2017
06:20:52 AM
Hi names lj I've been an owner for about 4 years I believe a member here for about 2. I've asked these and similar questions before but I don't think I ever did much about it. Now I'm coming back to make sure I get it all and do so. So first my boy Han I got him first and I did ok but never took him out he was wild of course and in a new home. I believe I feed him the same food every other day (fruits and the pet glider mix recipe)he had treats every day and like 20 meal worms one sitting. Never had vegies he wouldn't eat them. I had him alone for maybe 7 8 months then got 3 girls. Soka jane and Leia. They all got along fine. I changed food then I have them and still do fresh fruit everyday and the mix still no veggies NO one will eat them, well kale they like that. Han now isn't jumping anymore or running in the wheels, his claws are extra long and I feel he's depressed. Leia is very big now I have no idea if she's over weight. Jane seems depressed time to time and Leia is on her back bitting her every 3 months or so. Soma is fine period lol. So my questions problems are what do I do about nails no Dr around me for gliders and even tho it's been some years they still won't let me hold them they don't seem to like me unless I have meal worms, btw how many worms is enough per glider. Why is Jane and han so down why won't he run anymore and stuff what do I do about fat girl (leia) I can't feed them apart. Why won't they eat veggies. Is there any sacks I can get that they won't get stuck on I feel Han maybe depressed cause he's hurt. Like I Said so many things wrong I need help and a phone call or really good advice would be nice. Mind you I have taken then to a Dr once and she just didn't seem like she knew what she was doing I do love and want to keep them I just.... need help so looking forward to this HUGE conversation and please don't me mad at me my wife and I are trying ps more questions I'm sure will arise
Question
May 11 2017
07:16:15 AM
BennyNace Glider Visit BennyNace's Photo Album 100 Posts
Just have a few questions. I'm assuming you have tried bonding with all of them? What techniques did you try? Also, how big is their cage? If the overweight one isn't getting enough exercise, that could be the reason. Taking them to a glider proof room or tent could help with the weight and bonding. Here is a video that helped me.

Error, missing URL. I
Question
May 11 2017
10:22:26 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
sounds like you have some issues going on.

1. I would ask you go on youtube and start watching some videos about bonding with gliders. lilly bell videos, izzy silver (I think has some great ideas!) and may more videos with ideas and tips.

2. With bonding I think YOU need to do a small PUSH (as a way I would call it.) We have three newer gliders, they will come to cage front and hang with me, get some treats, but usually only one might walk on me. SO I'm starting PUSHING just a little. I will pick up sweet pea (she doesnt bite) and she holds onto cage REAL STRONG, I get her off cage and put her on my shoulder, then walk with her to kitchen and get her a few mealworms, then walk her back to cage, once in cage she will turn to me and look at me like "why did you do that" I give a small pet and tell her see it wasnt all bad.

as a second story - LINK we had him for about 8-10 months, he was only half bonded, so I started making him step on my arm to get that treat before he ran away into corner. Over several months I got him to walk on my arm and eat his treat. Then I started caring him to kitchen for LIVE MEALIES. so now he comes to cage door if he sees me. He tries to climb on me EVERY time I open door.

3. Nails - I have picture of pouch with hole for cutting nails, you can get and try a netted pouch. the last time we cut the nails the glider were awake at night and not behaving, so my wife just grabbed them and I held out nails and she cut. this may be where you are at, get gloves (some say gloves are bad) but for the sake of the nails, get gloves get glider, man up and hold them (not to tight) and cut, THEY WILL BE OK, just start by cutting small part of tip.

4. GET A PROPER DIET, EXAMPLE OHPW, BML. FOLLOW THE DIET AND FEED THEM EVERYTHING EVERYNIGHT ALL THE TIME. ALL THE TIME. EVERYTHING!!!
it took our 3 new gliders about 1 to 2 MONTHS to start eating fruits and veggies from HPW diet, but now they eat it up, most of it, real good. We always have a little leftover even with 7 gliders in our first colony they dont eat it all.

Question
May 11 2017
10:53:55 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
here his how I have seen bonding process go from my experience.

1. glider crabs and lunges, bites the heck out of you.
use bonding pouch a hour or so a day, feed a few treats, get going into your glider safe room/bathroom/tent, let them explore, don't get in their face. use body scented fleece trick, many other tricks.

2. glider crabs maybe lunges probably not, will bite if you try to pick them up, but bites are smaller or because they think your finger is food, or they are marking you while walking on you.
if they will stay in sleeping pouch, then I skip the bonding pouch and sit the sleeping pouch on my lap, pet their head, let them crab, pet their head.

3. glider crabs some but less, will not lunge, starts to take treats slower (not the fast grab and run) if you try to pick up will give you medium nip while running away.
at this point my wife will stick glider with other bonded glider in bra, let them take a nap.

4. glider stops crabbing. they will walk on you, won't bite unless they smell food on your finger, but usually wont bite and know finger from food. (my link will STILL test my finger after live mealworm time, he love them so much he will always test my finger to see if one more is there.)
Our sophie will spend a long time sleeping with me, loves to hang out with us humans, very bonded. but if sleeping in pouch with other gliders she will try to stay away and stay in pouch, once sleeping with me, I have to pry her off me to get her to go back to cage.

the more time they are with you the less scared they will be, the more trusted and bonded they will be. many tricks or methods available, sometimes you need to push the glider (with a cockatiel we were told we would need to wrap in towel hold gently and pet them on head so they would learn we are not going to hurt them, it worked, dang bird would fly right to my shoulder and nibble on my ear all the time.)

Question
May 11 2017
07:29:43 PM
KatieDidnt Joey NJ, USA 23 Posts
I think it's awesome that you've decided to put in more effort with your gliders =)

For nails, you can order glider safe wheels (atticworx.com/1Stealth%20Wheels.htm and www.mygliderwheelsandmore.com/ are both great) that come with sandpaper attached to them. As your glider runs on the wheel, the sandpaper will file their nails down and you won't have to cut them as often. LOTS of glider parents have trouble with nail trimming, so don't feel bad if it's a struggle for you! It's important though, so you (and all of us who struggle with it lol) just have to suck it up and do it. =) There are a tons of youtube tutorials (like this one: www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_2-wCceM-s) that show you how. It's important to not cut the nail too deep. If you look at your gliders' nails you will notice that the very tip is kind of transparent. That's the part you want to cut. Like it says in the video, a magnifying glass will help you see better which part to cut.

A good diet is really important, especially for your overweight girl. sugarglider.info/category/diet/ is a great website to read up on the different diet options that most glider owners recommend. I use the HPW diet, and my girls really love it. My girls don't especially love vegetables either, though there are a few that they enjoy (peas and carrots and sweet potatoes mostly). Have you offered your gliders a wide variety of veggies? Maybe you just haven't found the ones they like yet. Also, it might help to drizzle the vegetables with something your gliders enjoy, like yogurt or honey. This will make the vegetables seem more appetizing to them.

The depression and the biting might be due to stress. A bad diet and boredom can cause stress in gliders, so changing their diet and making sure that your gliders have a big cage with plenty of toys might help. Also, like was already mentioned, out of cage playtime can be a great way to relieve boredom AND get your gliders (especially your overweight girl and your guy who won't run on his wheel) to be a bit more active. It will also really help with bonding. Just make sure you're using either a glider safe room or a pop up play tent (you can find them fairly cheap online or at camping/outdoor stores or sometimes at walmart).

I also REALLY recommend trying to find a vet. I know you said there were none nearby, but if you think your one glider is hurt than it's really important to get him checked out. If you were willing to share your general location, then other glider owners may be able to help you locate one.

I hope this helps!
Question
May 11 2017
09:11:23 PM
Effsan Glider Visit Effsan's Photo Album 64 Posts
Hello there, just want to add a little on the vege. I've had my 2 gliders for a little more than 4 months now. I'm on the BML diet which comes with mix vege diet. I got them 3 in one pack of vege, peas, carrot and corn. I feed 2 types of vege a night, swapping one out every night.

For the longest time (it feels so to me), they wouldn't eat the peas and carrots. The corns always disappear like magic. On days I feed peas and carrots for vege, it's untouched. It always felt like waste of food to me, but a lot of advises here said to keep feeding. just about 2 weeks ago, I noticed they started eating the carrots. Hurray!

Last night, it was peas and carrot night. They finished all the carrots and even nibbled / break apart 2-3 peas. I felt so happy

What I'm trying to say is, Just keep feeding (whatever vege that comes with the diet you choose). It took mine more than 3 months to start eating. Can be different for every glider.

All the best with your 4 babies

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders