Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Coke and Cola: Demon and Angel
Question
May 12 2017
09:21:22 PM
A few months ago, I got two sugar glider males. A white faced, Coke, and a normal, Cola. Cola has thin fur on this tail, honestly barely at all, and I chalked it up to overgrooming because their cage was too small and their diet was all wrong. They've since been given many pouches, toys, foods, treats, wheels, etc. Cola warmed up in the matter of a few days and he's simply an angel. He'll crawl out and sit in my lap, all calm.

But Coke. Is a demon. He doesn't charge and I recently got him out of biting my fingers, with itty bitty bits of honey so he thinks positively. He doesn't get on my arm often and I don't really mind. He did tonight however, and I was pretty excited. Yeah that when away fast. He began biting me. In three different places and he made blood blisters. I ended up having to push him in the opposite direction to shove him off.

Coke also always yells and gets all over Cola What's the matter with his crazy self? Any advice? I can't keep up with him drawing blood. I let him come to me, I don't forcefully pick up either, I don't know what his problem is.
Question
May 12 2017
11:58:40 PM
Jenny2017 Joey Visit Jenny2017's Photo Album 10 Posts
Are either of the boys neutered or are they both intact? And are they about the same age? I'm pretty new to Gliders, but in some ways they're like most other mammals. Cola may be so sweet partly because he's not getting affection from his cagemate and needs a friend.

I can think of some situations that could push Coke into being abusive. If he is not neutered it could just be that he is seriously dominant and trying to intimidate everybody. He might calm down after being fixed.

Some animals act out when they feel ill, have you had him to the vet to check him out?

Maybe he just doesn't like Cola and got mad when he smelled Cola on you? Can you try separating them for a while to see how they act? Maybe get a temporary cage for one of them? I separated a female with joeys out of a trio because everyone was acting weird and it only took 1-2 days to see a big, positive difference!

If Coke has always been high-maintenance then a previous owner may have lost patience with him and not treated him well. It could have scared him and made him afraid to get close. If you know someone of the opposite sex you could see if they have better luck working with him? Like some dogs/cats really prefer men or women?

Just some ideas for you. It may take all the tips and tricks you find on here and other boards to bring him around. Best of luck, please be sure to update us periodically!

Question
May 13 2017
11:38:38 AM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
My pair of females, my first gliders were like that, one was a more laid-back glider and one was wicked. It turned out that she is just a more intense-personality that is high strung and easily stressed. She came around with consistency, patience, and bribery.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders