Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
HELP! URGENT! Extremely lethargic glider!
Health related
May 14 2017
12:09:51 PM
Our glider, buttercup, is not faring so well. At first, I thought she was just depressed, as we had to isolate her for a month or so from our three other gliders due to an incident that's hard to explain, but was necessary. We've yet to reintroduce her to them, but are planning to. My boyfriend found her last night to be extremely lethargic, and was worried she had self mutilated, but found only evidence of over grooming. Now that I'm with her, I did a more thorough examination, but found no evidence of any self mutilation, but she seems in fact to be extremely under groomed. Her genitals are very wet, and I noticed a smear of what seems to be diarrhea in her pouch. She is still interested in food, but seems too weak to bite down on an apple. She ate last night. I know she should go to the vet, but the vet that sees sugar gliders in our area is not actually very knowledgeable, and almost always jumps to putting down the animal when they are indeed treatable. Any advice on what's ailing her?? If necessary, I'll drive to another vet, I just want some insight on what I should do in the meantime. Thank you.
Health related
May 14 2017
01:16:54 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
I'd start looking for another, more knowledgeable vet pronto. In the meantime, keep her hydrated and monitor her closely, in fact, try to keep her with you as much as possible.

Also, when you do take her to a vet, take a fecal sample with you.

Please keep us updated on her condition and vet visit.
Health related
May 14 2017
01:18:21 PM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
I'm no expert. All of my advice is just based on my own experiences.

Diarrhea will dehydrate her so make sure she is drinking. You might want to do 50% Gatorade and water or honey water. I would also start her on some yogurt with active cultures. I would try to get her to drink and to take yogurt every hour or so.

I don't know what it could be, but I would also try to keep her warm- maybe keep her on you. I would do these things until I got to a vet. I hope you can find one near to you besides the one you mentioned.
Health related
May 14 2017
01:18:50 PM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
Did you check for dehydratation? The way to do it is to pull the skin between the shoulders, normally the skin should go back in place almost immediately, if it does not, then she is dehydrated, in which caseyou should try to push some fluid in her (try to make her drink a mix of half orange gatorade with water).

Other thing to check is whether she is cold to the touch, dehydrated gliders cannot maintain their body temperature properly, in which case, warm her up on you before giving her something to drink.

Gliders will not self mutilate, even if depressed. Self mutilation only occures if there is physical pain (like wound, infection, broken bones...), that's teir way to try to get rid of the pain by chewing off the painful area.

Edited by - sjusovare on May 14 2017 01:22:54 PM

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders