Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
rescue/rehabilitation questions
Question
May 16 2017
01:39:35 AM
i've just recently adopted a 5 year old sugar glider named mojo from my friend, i love him since the moment i first went over there, (every time i would go over there i would feed him treats and get him to know me before finally taking him in) however, he did live with a different owner for a couple years (i think) then she got him with another sugar glider, however the second one died and they never got a new one. they rarely socialized him and isn't bonded to anyone. but they did feed and clean his cage well, he's been alone for a couple years and it broke my heart when i found out that their not solitary creatures and i told them i could take him in because i have the time to bond with him and currently i'm looking to adopt another one for him. i'm starting the bonding process with him, so far it's going well, he has only crabbed at me once and that was when i woke him up and he didn't know who i was. however his biting is what concerns me it's not a huge problem but it happens semi/often. he won't crab, he won't be defensive, but he will bite hard. usually it goes in an increment like fashion, the first bite will be a a small painless taste nip and i won't move my hand away, but then he will bite again, this time a bit harder then the third time it will be the hardest bite (usually drawing blood and that's when i move my hand) he doesn't seem to be scared at all as he won't crab or anything. am i just sometimes rushing the bonding process and he gets a little nervous? but other then that the bonding process seems to be going quite quickly, the friend i got him from coudnt hold or pick him up but i've gotten to the point with him i can pick him up with 2 hands and hold him for a little before he jumps off me only after 2 days, any tips on just getting him happy and well bonded well with me? i've read that any sugar glider will bond with you, but since he is 5 years old been left alone could their be any issues? still sorry for the length and thank you for your time!!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders