Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
easiest diet?
easiest diet?
Food, Diet
May 18 2017
12:18:51 PM
I have my sugar babies(2) on the pet glider diet and its fine but I have a baby due in July and I'm looking for something maybe easier or just something I don't have to order in thats so pricey? just looking for opinions! my sugar babies mean just as much to me as my human baby#128521; I want them to have the best but I just want something cost/ time efficient!
Food, Diet
May 18 2017
09:18:17 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
I like OHPW, I wouldnt call it the easiest, but you can make some up and it will last a long time with just 2 gliders. we feed 10 gliders so it takes making bigger batches.

A small container of Wombaroo powder will last 2 gliders awhile. a large container will probably last to long. buy a gallon of raw honey $40, some eggs and bee pollen and you can make up 3 liters, put in freezer and you are set for a few months.
Then add some fruits and veggies, I use critterlove website suggestions. I buy low cost frozen veggies then just mix together in a Tupperware container and that will last you a long time.
Buy some fruit, cut up and freeze and your set again for awhile, same with watergrass and other leaves.

the setup process takes awhile, 1 hour for ohpw 3 liters, 30 minutes for veggies, and about 3 hours to cut up fruit, but once its all made up and frozen its just 5-10 minutes a night to make up dinner and put in cage. with just 2 gliders you should be able to make up enough for one month at a time.
with 10 gliders I make up 4 batches of Ohpw 4 liters, and a double helping of fruits and veggies about 2 2.5 gallon tupperware containers.
Food, Diet
May 18 2017
09:23:28 PM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
I, also, like OHPW. It sounded complicated at first, but it really isn't, and it lasts a long time in the freezer. I have been getting mine from The Pampered Glider, But I might get it from Critter Love next time. The babies love it!
Food, Diet
May 18 2017
09:29:16 PM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
If you make one of the Critter Love salad recipes, cut it in half or you might not have room in your freezer! Also, if you can get any of the fruits and vegetables already precut or frozen it will save a lot of hassle.
Food, Diet
May 19 2017
11:59:38 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
I'm feeding 10.5 gliders right now, for me the most economical and easiest option is Bml. I order a lot of the ingredients in bulk online because it's cheaper and I always have supplies in my cupboard, but in a pinch I can still buy everything local.

I now make 6 batches of bml at one time ( a gallon ) that feeds all mine for a little over a month. I don't mess with ice cube trays I just put it in little tubs with lids and use a small cookie scoop to portion it out every night.

If your only feeding 2 gliders one batch lasts a month and wouldn't take but 15 min to make. It takes me a little longer because I do 2 triple batches to make up my 6 batches ( my food processor can only do 3 batches at a time ) I just sit down n measure everything out into 2 bowls and dump it all in the processor. For 6 batches it takes me about 45 min once a month. The supplies will last you longer for 2 gliders the calcium and multivitamin will last for quiet some time so there are some ingredients you won't need to buy as often for bml, which makes it very affordable for people with less gliders.

Bml and critter love are the only tested diets that are not still in the tweaking mode or making any changes. Either of these two diets are a good option. Personally I can't afford critter love for 10.5 gliders and my gliders eat bml really well and critter love smells awful lol. Bml smells too but only when your actually making it once it's froze there isn't a smell.

Edited by - Leela on May 19 2017 12:01:38 PM
Food, Diet
May 20 2017
01:06:43 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
Just to clarify. Yes critterlove complete is expensive. I went back to the original HPW formula. critterlove complete uses ice cubes and is water and powder mix, VERY EASY but most expensive. critterlove plus is just like Original hpw but made in USA and slighly more expensive it is made in a liquid put in a 1 liter tupperware and freezes like ice cream, just scoop out at night.

wombaroo is $16 for 250 gram box will last 2 glider long time 1/4 cup makes 1 liter ice cream. 1 kilo box is $50 will last 2 glider forever (will expire before you use it all).
Add in 1 gallon raw honey, here is $40. will last awhile, 1.5 cups makes 1 liter.
add some eggs, bee pollen $8 for a container will last long time.

so an output of $65 will get you supplies (minus eggs) for about 6 months would be my guess.

I tried Pet glider diet at first and did not like that one much.
I have never tried BML but here its very good and popular.
Food, Diet
May 20 2017
09:09:58 AM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
I also went back to the OHPW, now named CLO (Critter Love Original), it's the first diet created by the maker of the other CL diets, but used the Wombaroo brand HPS (high protein supplement).

Anywho, the CLC is a great diet, and very easy, but can get expensive when feeding more than two gliders if your on a tight budget.

If space in your freezer is an issue between batches of salad and batches of nectar, I've found a little trick that helps me conserve space (because I've needed to, since sharing space).

I use little juice bottles, small Sunny D and even bought the cheap OJ in small bottles at Dollar Stores (empty those down the drain). Just wash out the bottles good and then you can poor the nectar straight from blender into bottles. I have three gliders, so I pre-measured with water 3 servings for 3 gliders and used a permanent marker on each bottle at the water level. Doing one serving per/each glider and mark on bottle helps to tell when you have the serving correct each evening. I've found that these small bottles take up less room than a huge container you have to scoop from because you can tuck them in different spaces if you have to. After pouring, I leave one in the fridge and put one in a door pocket, the rest get placed 2/per qt freezer bag in the small freezer in the basement. The night I finish the bottle in the fridge, I put the one in from freezer for the next night. Then I bring up two bottles and place them in the kitchen freezer pocket. That's how I do it, but if you have room for a larger container, that works too.
Food, Diet
May 20 2017
12:50:10 PM
I have a very small freezer in house. so I got a medium small freezer for the garage for all the family food. If chicken goes on sale, I buy extra, if steak goes on sale, $13 a pound is to much for us, so if it hits $5 to $6 we buy extra. so the outside freezer is full.
during black friday I saw a small $99 freezer and thought...wow glider freezer..... after walking threw store we came back to the same area and my wife pointed to the freezer and said "look a freezer for the glider food".
We ended up getting one and putting it in basement for mostly glider food. but in 5 years when the kids move out we won't need it... plz... move out lol.
easiest diet?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
easiest diet?