Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat
Don't want to get up
Don't want to get up
Question
May 19 2017
09:44:52 PM
Ok so me and my fiancee fell in love with these two female gliders and gave them a home.

Both are female and are sisters. They are 7 months old.

Very simply they don't want to get out if bed unless we coax them with honey. Once out we put them on the cage floor and leave the cage open... but they just go back to bed again. They have no interest leaving the cage unless we remove them. The sometimes they will stay out for and explore and play. Other times they will go straight back in and go back to bed.

Any advice??? It's hard to bond with them when they want nothing to do with you or don't want to leave their bed..

Please someine advise
Question
May 19 2017
10:57:13 PM
Jenny2017 Joey Visit Jenny2017's Photo Album 10 Posts
I have a pair of guys who seem to have a certain "sleep cycle". Their interest in playing vs eating a treat and going back to sleep seems to depend upon what time it is. (I suppose it's in relation to what time they were up the night/morning before. Have you tried them during different parts of the day? Morning/lunch/afternoon, etc. Sometimes I almost can't wake them up! even for a yogie!

And yours are babies, most baby animals need a LOT more sleep than adults. Mine are adults. I don't know for sure about gliders, but someone will join in and let us know.

You might just try holding them in their sleeping pouch while they're sleeping. Mine love to snuggle down into my hand that's holding the pouch bottom. I've been getting more response from them since I started doing that a couple times a week. At least I feel closer and I can keep working at my desk!

Edited by - Jenny2017 on May 19 2017 11:02:00 PM
Question
May 20 2017
01:26:25 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
What I would do.
(sounds like you have not had them long, so give them time to adjust to you.)

1. I would get them a wheel, some foraging cups and put treats in cups before they wake up. then get them some interesting toys. whiffle ball, plastic eggs etc.
But a good GLIDER SAFE wheel or two is a must.

2. I would make sure during daytime they have light and room is lit up pretty good, doesn't have to be super bright just DAYTIME LIGHT BRIGHT.

3. I would put food in cage about 9:30 pm to 10:30 pm, then get the lights down low, pretty dark, or just make very dark to start. (our first two we would wheel the cage into bedroom if I sleep days for night work, the bedroom was very dark for me to sleep in daytime, them glider would wake up and start running on wheel and jumping around cage middle of the day. cage was moved so dogs wouldn't bother them.)

4. next I would get LIVE MEALWORMS from pet store, take gliders to glider safe room, turn lights low, gentle push them out of sleeping pouch, SIT ON SLEEPING Pouch so they are forced to explore, doing this in evening or night when they wake up. start with just 30 minutes or 1 hour of playtime/explore time.
Question
May 20 2017
01:30:59 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
and also...

both our colonies wake up and eat, run on wheel a little, then after go back to sleeping pouch. some stay out some go back to sleep. then later in the night they come back out and do more running and playing around cage. then at 8 am if I'm awake they seem to be out and about one last time. by 9am they are back to sleep....but in pouch lots of them time some are awake grooming and such.
Don't want to get up

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat
Don't want to get up