Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Joeys age do I need a heat lamp ?
Food, Diet
May 19 2017
10:08:07 PM
I got a new member to our family a baby lue, I was told she was 7 weeks old, I weighted her with my kitchen scale she weighs 39 grams almost 40, I am still new to telling the ages of baby's do you think she may be younger ? Should I put a heat lamp on her cage ? Thank you

Edited by - PipersGlider on May 19 2017 10:26:43 PM
Food, Diet
May 19 2017
11:46:04 PM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
Congratulations on your new addition! She's adorable! I'm not good at guessing ages but even at 7 weeks she seems young and she's pretty light. You could put a heat lamp near her cage for extra warmth, as long as she can't reach it. As you probably know, heat rocks are a definite no no, so I would be worried about the cord to the heat lamp as well. What many people do is cut up pieces of fleece and put them inside the pouch so the gliders can snuggle next to/under them (kind of like a blanket). If she has a cage mate they can keep each other warm too.
Food, Diet
May 20 2017
01:56:34 AM
PipersGlider Glider Visit PipersGlider's Photo Album USA 50 Posts
Thank you I put on by her cage and been checking on her through the night, I tried finding a weight chart but there many different ones and wasn't sure what ones are the correct ones but I am hoping she drinks water for me or her water bottle or eats something, she might just be nervous new surroundings Ect
Food, Diet
May 20 2017
09:11:06 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
1 week OOP 10-20 grams
2 weeks OOP 14-24 grams
3 weeks OOP 15-25 grams
4 weeks OOP 21-32 grams
5 weeks OOP 28-39 grams
6 weeks OOP 33-44 grams
7 weeks OOP 38-49 grams
8 weeks OOP 43-59 grams

This one is what I refer to, but remember it's just a "guideline" to get an average weight at that age. Weigh the joey regularly to make sure she is thriving

Also you may need to help her to the pouch for bed time sometimes, at her age she would still be riding on mom n dads back and or following them to the pouch. Without them there she may need some help until she goes to the pouch on her own. So if you see her sort of frozen on the floor when she should be in pouch don't freak just put her in the pouch or up to the pouch and let her climb in on her own.

I wouldn't put a heat lamp on or near the cage, just give her some extra fleece and maybe make some fleece pompoms for her to snuggle up with you can use the pom pom later on to do scent swapping when she's big enough to introduce to other gliders.
Food, Diet
May 20 2017
10:05:24 AM
Thank you for your help I really appreciate it and great idea on the Pom poems
Food, Diet
May 21 2017
08:49:53 AM
Thank you the heat lamp has been working well and didn't seem to put out a lot of heat I was surprised it worked perfect the right temp she was so cozy and she had lost a gram but then gained so I am extremely happy she is doing good thank you for your help
Food, Diet
May 21 2017
08:52:21 PM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
Glad everything's going well!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders