Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
My sugar glider is slanting side to side when he walks!help please!
Previous |
Page: of 2
Health related
May 22 2017
12:49:11 AM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
Sounds good! I know it's hard to keep him in that small cage while the others are in the bigger one but like you said, it will be better. This is just temporary and he's getting a lot of personal attention from you so that's good. Please continue to keep us posted.
Health related
May 22 2017
01:33:04 PM
Glidingcameron Glider Visit Glidingcameron's Photo Album 128 Posts
Thanks! This morning I checked on him and his face seems a little.. swollen?like, it's not its normal shape. He was still eating and drinking this morning, so that's good. I'm not at the house right now, but I will keep you guys posted a s much as I can :)
Health related
May 22 2017
04:54:49 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
that's usually a sign or symptom of an abscess have the vet look at the teeth and gums visually and on the xrays to see if a tooth needs removed
Health related
May 24 2017
04:02:02 PM
Sorry for the delay! He's sleeping on me, nestled in my hair. His face has gotten more swollen, and he is moving slowly. My mom called the vet- they've got no emergency vets for sugar gliders, so my mom will call tommorow as soon as they open. Do you think he'all make it? I'm sweating up the hamster cage right now, with the crittertrail he almost escaped! I think he's in pain because he bit me for the first time ever. What should I do? Keep him close to me in a bonding pouch? Check on him every hour? Give him water and Gatorade ? More calcium? Should I give him something to eat right now, like yougurt? I am so worried :(
Health related
May 24 2017
05:41:00 PM
He keeps putting his head down and just laying there while making a clicking noise... I keep offering him water and he will drink but is that bad?
Health related
May 24 2017
05:45:56 PM
I'm surprised that the vet doesn't have an emergency option for gliders. Is there another exotic vet in your area? Hopefully Opi will be able to be seen asap. Make sure you tell the vet everything that's been going on. The more they know, the better. I would offer him water and gatorade, as much as he will drink. Yogurt is a good option (it has calcium so I don't think additional calcium is necessary at this point). I would think keeping him in a bonding pouch would give you both a sense of security and comfort.
Health related
May 24 2017
06:46:29 PM
Unfourtanately, no. Any vet you call directs you to a number that doesn't treat sugar gliders.He's in a bonding pouch now, all night he's been clinging to my shoulder and making this clicking noise just sitting there. I got him in the bonding pouch, maybe he'll get some rest. I am going to put more Gatorade in his water bottle, the smell encourages him to drink, and I'm going to throw his fruits, veggies, hpw and a little bit of tougher into a blender and mix it all up so he can eat it easier. Do you think he will be all right until tommorow? Is there anything else I should do? Should I sprinkle calcium on top of his "smoothie"?
Health related
May 24 2017
07:01:32 PM
I probably wouldn't do anymore calcium. One thing I want to mention about "smoothies" is that gliders normally eat fruits and veggies and spit out the fibers that they can't digest. If it's all mixed in a blender they can't do this. I'm far from an expert so I'm hoping someone else will weigh in on this. Some soft foods would be a good idea, like yogurt, apple sauce, and scrambled eggs. Is he still eating the HPW? You're doing the best you can and he's getting a lot of love. Keep up the good work! My thoughts and prayers are with you!
Health related
May 24 2017
07:28:32 PM
So, no yougurt? And isn't apple sauce just mushed up apples? And I've seen people mix in blueberries or raspberries with yougurt, so isn't it ok to do the same thing with a blender with fruits and veggies? And are there any foods I shouldn't give him? So, smoothie or no smoothie? And should I trim his nails so he doesn't hurt himself? Should I do anything else? Will he be alright till tommorow? He's in the pouch making this clicking noise every now and then. Thank you, I really appreciate it.
Health related
May 24 2017
08:12:14 PM
I ended up throwing it all in a blender-all it did was soften the fruit, it's still mostly solid so he will still be able to spit out un digest and stuff, but it is softer and easier for him to eat. He seems to be able to fall asleep just about anywhere now . His butt and under side of his tail are wet, he moves slowly. He seems to fall asleep with his eyes partly open for a few seconds, and make this clicking noise. He will lick the softer part, which mainly cage consists of the hpw, but not as much the solid parts. You don't think he will go over the rainbow bridge, do you? What can I do? I am going to try to find a vet that opens early so we can call and make an appoitment earlier. Poor little guy:(
Health related
May 24 2017
08:14:19 PM
Your idea about fixing foods so they'll be easier for Opi to eat is very wise. And yes, yogurt is great. I'm not sure about applesauce (I've wondered the same thing) but others have said that's a good option to give gliders. I do know that mixing and blending are very different. For instance, I gave my glider mango yogurt (after stirring/mixing it up). She ended up licking off all the yogurt and leaving the mango. When foods are blended, it's impossible to separate them (which means not being able to separate the fiber). As far as nail trimming, I've never been able to trim my gliders nails on my own without causing a lot of stress for both of us so it really depends how comfortable you are doing this and if he tolerates it well. Gently filing them might be a good compromise. I know you want assurance that Opi will be ok and I would love to tell you that. The best I can tell you is to get him checked by a vet, as you know.
Health related
May 24 2017
08:42:07 PM
Thank you, I really appreciate it. I didn't end up giving him yougurt, but the concoction is preety close to the consistency of yougurt. He's not drink water from the bottle, but then again he's drank a lot of it tonight. My mom will call as soon as they open tommorow. Are these signs he's dying? If they are.... is it possible for me to do anything to help him hang in there till tommorow? Sorry, I sound like a broken record. Should I just let him stay on my shoulder? I just.... poor little guy. I got an old bridge to use as a step for his water bottle so he can get to it easier. Should I get him some yougurt right now? the hamster cage has a tall base, for bedding. Should I line that with fleece so he doesn't hurt himself on the plastic? What else should I do??
Health related
May 24 2017
08:45:12 PM
Thank you, I really appreciate it. I didn't end up giving him yougurt, but the concoction is preety close to the consistency of yougurt. He's not drink water from the bottle, but then again he's drank a lot of it tonight. My mom will call as soon as they open tommorow. Are these signs he's dying? If they are.... is it possible for me to do anything to help him hang in there till tommorow? Sorry, I sound like a broken record. Should I just let him stay on my shoulder? I just.... poor little guy. I got an old bridge to use as a step for his water bottle so he can get to it easier. Should I get him some yougurt right now? the hamster cage has a tall base, for bedding. Should I line that with fleece so he doesn't hurt himself on the plastic? What else should I do??
Health related
May 24 2017
08:48:23 PM
Oh, and he will drink water from a dish... not really sure why. I think during the nigh every half hour to an hour I will offer him food and water and check on him... just to make sure he's got that in his system so he can hang in there.
Health related
May 24 2017
08:55:44 PM
I just realized something: he is in my hair, the back of my neck where it is warm. Is it possible he is cold? What can I do to warm him up when I'm not with him?
Health related
May 24 2017
09:15:35 PM
BennyNace Glider Visit BennyNace's Photo Album 100 Posts
I think you are doing all you can, and I think opi knows that. You can line his cage in fleece if it makes you feel better but I don't think it's necessary. Just remember to let him rest. He needs lots of rest. Tiakristan3 is right about blending the food though. Have you ever watched them eat a pea or a blue berry? They split them open and eat the inside. Then they spit out the part they can't digest. Making it too gooey will make it hard for him to separate those parts. Chopping it would do just fine. You're doing a good job taking care of him.
Health related
May 24 2017
09:41:47 PM
Maybe he prefers the water dish over the bottle because it takes less effort to drink. If you're concerned about him being cold, the bonding pouch is a good option. Does he have a pouch in his cage? You could always use a small piece of fleece and put it in his cage/pouch for him to snuggle up to.
Health related
May 24 2017
09:44:26 PM
Thanks! Do you think it'd be a good idea to do the same thing tommorow, and during the day leave a little bit of yougurt in the cage, maybe mix in some pellets so he can get those? Also, his head seems to be swollen, like near his chin and under his ear there is a lump. I know you probably wouldn't know, but I'm just wondering, is there a possibility he has a tumor?
Health related
May 25 2017
01:52:13 AM
It's possible but only a vet can make that assessment. Keep doing what you're doing. And yes, I think leaving food for him is a good idea (change it out frequently so it stays fresh). If your mom calls first thing in the morning, hopefully they can get you in sometime during the day. I would tell them it's urgent so they'll take it more seriously. If I remember correctly, this has been going on almost a week so he really needs to be seen asap.
Health related
May 25 2017
05:31:48 AM
Ok... I'm sad to say he's not doing good.... at all. He will hardly take food or water, even it's from a dish. He is so , so weak. He will be walking around and then he will collapse, like he is too weak. He is colder to the touch then he normally is. I think i will mix some honey in with some yougurt and see if he eats that...when I took the pouch out of his cage he didn't even crab. Major major red flag to me. My mom thinks he will be gone before we can get him to the vet. How can i revive him?
Health related
May 25 2017
06:19:12 AM
I'm so sorry you're going through this. How I wish there was something I could say or do that would help Opi. You really are doing the best you can. There are some things we have no control over. Just a few more hours and the vets will be open. Hang in there Opi! The vet I take my gliders to accepts emergency walk-ins so if this is the case with yours, you could go there right when they open.
Health related
May 25 2017
03:07:04 PM
I'm sorry... I couldn't do. I didn't do good enough. The sweetest, friendliest glider who's only ever bitten me once is gone. He has glided over the rainbow bridge, despite the fact he lost part of his tail. I couldn't even protect him from injury. I'm trying so hard not to blame myself.. but it's so hard not to . It's like my mind is trying to rationalize everything by telling me it's all your fault,you horrible person. Your fault he's dead at 6. You didn't get a cage for 3 gliders, you didn't feed the right food the whole time, didn't give him insects or eucalyptus. if he'd gone to somebody better, he would still be alive.if you had taken a hint and brought him to the vet when he got skinny instead of stupidly feeding him from a different dish, he would still be sleeping in the pouch right now with his brothers.its all your fault, you awful person people are telling me not blame myself, that's not true, and I want to believe them. But it's like my mind won't let me.i thought everything would be okay, I really did. But it's not. Thank you everyone for your time.

Rest In Peace Opi, my buddy#10084;#65039;
Loved by everyone who ever met him
My sweet little boy
Heaven has gained a new angel. One with a pink little nose, fur, some gliding membranes, and endless energy and sweetness.b
I will always love and miss you#10084;#65039;
Health related
May 26 2017
01:32:34 AM
Glidercameron,
I'm so heartbroken to hear that your precious glider has passed. I'm sure you are beyond devastated, especially after caring and working so much to help him. I know you are putting a lot of the blame on yourself but please, PLEASE DON"T! You did absolutely everything you could. You were the best person to care for him and I have no doubt Opi knew how much you loved him (and still do). It is so obvious in your messages here and I have no doubt he felt it. Many people here understand what you're going through and we all have times that we wish we had of done things differently. We're constantly learning and growing. I went through a similar situation last summer when my very first glider ran away. I blamed myself for not keeping her safe, for not protecting her, for not doing more. The pain was more than I could bare. It took me 6 months before I could even think about getting another glider. When the time came, I decided to name my new little one either Mercy or Grace because those are two words that kept coming to mind when I kept blaming myself. You have to have grace and mercy with yourself. Know that you did your very best. I know you thought he was going to be ok, and many people here were rooting for you and Opi as well. He was just too sick. He is out of pain now and gliding free. I love your tribute to him. He will always be your sweet, precious angel!
Health related
May 26 2017
01:37:57 AM
*Glidingcameron....sorry for the mistake
Health related
May 26 2017
05:49:26 AM
Previous |
Page: of 2

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders