Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
please help with dosage, vets unsure
Health related
May 23 2017
12:19:58 PM
My sugarglider Arya has a small infection on her cheek and needs antibiotics to clear it up, she is 3 years old and has never had any health issues or lumps before. She is eating and drinking normally and is happy and playful as always. The problem is I am in China and the vets here are inexperienced with sugar gliders so are unsure of the correct dosage of amoxicillin to give her (Baytril is unavailable here) I have tried calling multiple consultants in the U.S but the vets here don't speak English and the consultants refused to tell me even when i explained the situation and ill suggested acting as a translator for the vet. I know i obviously really need a vets recommended dosage and am still looking for either a vet consult willing to actually help or a vet in the city who can speak enough English to communicate with them ; however, im really worried about Arya getting worse or the infection spreading and while she seems completely fine otherwise im so worried and want to get her on antibiotics as soon as possible. Does anyone have any experience giving their gliders amoxicillin? My girl is 110g. Please please help if you can i know people are so unwilling to give information on dosage but if i can't find anyone to tell me I'll have no choice but to estimate based on weight :(.
Health related
May 23 2017
01:35:56 PM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
The usual dosage of amoxicillin for gliders is 30mg/kg/day, so if your glider weights 110g, it's 3.3mg/day.
Health related
May 23 2017
01:38:00 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
I've not used that one, but I'm looking into a dose for it hang on
Health related
May 23 2017
01:40:20 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Generally penicillin dosage here is .0.05 ml per 100 gram of body weight given 2x daily.
Health related
May 23 2017
02:40:56 PM
JLR Glider Visit JLR's Photo Album JLR's Journal Canada 95 Posts
According to the Merk Veterinary Manual (www.merckvetmanual.com/exotic-and-laboratory-animals/sugar-gliders/overview-of-sugar-gliders), the dosage of amoxicillin for use as a broad spectrum antibiotic is 12.5mg/kg/day.
So 110g= 0.11kg*12.5=1.375mg.

It is VERY IMPORTANT to note that this is 1.375mg of the actual drug. Your bottle of medicine is not 1mg amoxicillin per 1ml so you will need to find the concentration on the bottle and calculate how much volume you need to achieve the correct dosage
Health related
May 23 2017
10:46:38 PM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
JLR, that's not the actual dosage for amoxicillin, that's the dosage for clavamox, which is a mix of amoxicillin and clavulanic acid

Edited by - sjusovare on May 23 2017 10:48:43 PM
Health related
May 24 2017
06:49:05 AM
JLR Glider Visit JLR's Photo Album JLR's Journal Canada 95 Posts
My apologies, I had thought I had wrote the clavulanic acid part in but I was busy at the time of typing. Either way the link I provided has dosages for many drugs for reference but they are still the actual amount of drug not the volume you would give.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders