GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Stressing about diet
Stressing about diet
Food, Diet
May 26 2017
07:32:28 AM
Hi all,
I bought 2 1 year old gliders off Craigslist last night and am stressing about feeding. There are so many different opinions about feeding out there. I know that, with time, I will figure out what works the best for us but I need suggestions on what to do today and tomorrow and the next day.
I was given a jug of Mazuri insectivore diet, a bag of instant-hpw, and glider-mins. I was told to mix 1/8 tsp hpw with 1 tsp Mazuri and a little water per glider. Also to give them some mixed veggies and a piece of apple. I understand the veggie and fruit part but am unsure about the pellets and powder. I also Googled glider-mins and found a chat board the said throw them out. What should I be doing about the vitamins and nothing was even mentioned about calcium.
Sorry this is so long. I'm feeling so inadequate right now. Suggestions?
Food, Diet
May 26 2017
08:46:45 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
what is the brand of instant hpw? and vit and minerals? It doesn't seem like a brand can matter, but it can. There are more than one hpw diets and sources for it, one is crap ( exotic nutrition) the others are fine.

I don't feed hpw but I don't know anyone that adds a secondary diet to hpw, nor do I know anyone that uses Mazuri. I wish I knew more about it and could help more.

The way you described their feeding plan it sounds like PP diet that has been modified by the previous owner. If the Hpw is Glider R Gravy that's a good staple on it's own and doesn't need modified with the Mazuri. Glider R Gravy is the Critter Love hpw repackaged for Pocket Pets. Also if that is what the hpw is you don't need the vitamins and you can feed more fruit than just apples.

Don't feel inadequate, diets are super confusing, and even more so when someone advises you to use a modified version of an established diet. There are a few folks here that feed Hpw's I'm sure they will have better advice on this specific diet.
Food, Diet
May 26 2017
10:00:08 AM
Sallyk Starting Member 5 Posts
The hpw is by exotic nutrition. I'm beginning to think that they have not been fed a great diet. They seem healthy but I'm new. So, I need a new staple. If I go with critter love,I don't need vets? How about calcium? I think I'll feed the Mazuri as a snack.
Food, Diet
May 26 2017
10:01:34 AM
I ment vitamins, not vets.
Food, Diet
May 26 2017
10:10:21 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
the only thing good that exotic nutrition sells are their cages, their food and snacks are crap... I'd toss em.

If you go with Critter Love hpw's they already have everything that is needed in the staple and salads you feed with it, so you don't need to add extra calcium or anything else to it. It's a very well known and widely used diet.

If you have questions about the Critter love hpw's Peggy the creator is happy to answer any questions or help get started on it, she will even send you a sample, you can tell her Carla Sloan sent you she can be reached via pm on face book https://www.facebook.com/peggy.h.brewer or by her website http://www.critterlove.com/contact-us.html

she would also probably be familiar with the Mazuri stuff and be able to tell you if it's needed or not and why

Edited by - Leela on May 26 2017 10:11:35 AM
Food, Diet
May 26 2017
10:28:19 AM
Thank you
Food, Diet
May 26 2017
10:31:52 AM
your welcome, don't be afraid to reach out to her she's super nice. Good luck with your new babies, don't stress to hard you will get it all figured out if you need help there is always some one here that can either help or point you in the right direction.
Stressing about diet

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Stressing about diet