Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat
needing helpful info on baby sugar gliders just oop.
Question
May 26 2017
11:50:17 AM
Hello. I'm new on here and need some help. My sugar gliders babies just came out of the pouch.

I was wondering when to start handling them?
When should i try to start handling my female again?

She was over a yr old when I got her and never fully bonded that much. When she got preg. she wouldn't tolerate any handling. I could only hand her food. She still bites like the first day I got her.
Question
May 26 2017
06:22:50 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
I have never had babies so have very little knowledge to pass on.

I will only say, You say "she still bites like the first day you got her"
to this that means you are still mostly an unwanted intruder, not a trusted
bonded friend. So I would think interference with the babies and their home would be unwanted also. So I would keep a low profile for as long as possible.

You should also seek addition advice as I have no experience in babies and
very little knowledge.
Question
May 26 2017
10:33:46 PM
Jenny2017 Joey Visit Jenny2017's Photo Album 10 Posts
My suggestion would be to start as soon as possible, but take it slow so you don't cause a lot of stress on the mother. Don't push her a lot, but just keep trying and do a little more each day. Pay attention and you'll be able to tell when she's getting anxious. You may have to start with just a few minutes at a time.

I have twin joeys 7 weeks out of pouch (oop) and wasn't bonded to their mom because they were already in pouch when I got her. I didn't want to push her before they came oop. I've found many good bonding ideas on a lot of different sights. Some ideas that helped me so far are:

Sitting outside her cage when she's out eating and playing, give her a treat through the cage bars. Talk to her and get her comfortable with you being there. Read a book or watch videos or listen to music (quietly) if you do that. My girl likes Frank Sinatra!

The next thing I did was reach in the cage to give her a treat, but don't chase her down with it. Just get it close so she can take it without biting you. I wanted her to be comfortable being close to my arm and hand.

The stage I'm working on now is to take the whole pouch with all of them out of the cage and hold them. Once they know it's me they calm down some, then I give her a couple of treats. We've come a long way, most of the time she lets me pick them up out of the pouch and hold them for a few minutes. "Suz' Sugar Gliders" website has information about how much and how long to hold them. I want to get her comfortable with my hands and holding her next, but we haven't worked on that yet. Maybe next week!

Hope this helps and you can have fun with them like I have! Keep us updated if you can

Edited by - Jenny2017 on May 26 2017 10:36:31 PM
Question
May 28 2017
03:44:49 PM
ash20091990 Starting Member 0 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Jenny2017

My suggestion would be to start as soon as possible, but take it slow so you don't cause a lot of stress on the mother. Don't push her a lot, but just keep trying and do a little more each day. Pay attention and you'll be able to tell when she's getting anxious. You may have to start with just a few minutes at a time.

I have twin joeys 7 weeks out of pouch (oop) and wasn't bonded to their mom because they were already in pouch when I got her. I didn't want to push her before they came oop. I've found many good bonding ideas on a lot of different sights. Some ideas that helped me so far are:

Sitting outside her cage when she's out eating and playing, give her a treat through the cage bars. Talk to her and get her comfortable with you being there. Read a book or watch videos or listen to music (quietly) if you do that. My girl likes Frank Sinatra!

The next thing I did was reach in the cage to give her a treat, but don't chase her down with it. Just get it close so she can take it without biting you. I wanted her to be comfortable being close to my arm and hand.

The stage I'm working on now is to take the whole pouch with all of them out of the cage and hold them. Once they know it's me they calm down some, then I give her a couple of treats. We've come a long way, most of the time she lets me pick them up out of the pouch and hold them for a few minutes. "Suz' Sugar Gliders" website has information about how much and how long to hold them. I want to get her comfortable with my hands and holding her next, but we haven't worked on that yet. Maybe next week!

Hope this helps and you can have fun with them like I have! Keep us updated if you can

Well turns out she rejected both of her babies. the little boy passed away yesterday morning. The little girl i have been hand raising since 7:30 a.m. yesterday morning. She seems to be doing better.
Question
May 29 2017
11:06:16 AM
ash20091990 Starting Member 0 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Jenny2017

Well turns out she rejected both of her babies. the little boy passed away yesterday morning. The little girl i have been hand raising since 7:30 a.m. yesterday morning. She seems to be doing better.
Question
May 29 2017
04:24:05 PM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
Oh no! I'm sorry they were rejected. Best of luck.
Question
May 30 2017
03:38:19 PM
Jenny2017 Joey Visit Jenny2017's Photo Album 10 Posts
Oh I'm sorry too! That's so unfortunate and hard for you I'm sure. Best of luck with the other baby, I'm glad she's hanging in there.

Suz' website has supplies and information about hand-raising too.

Edited by - Jenny2017 on May 30 2017 03:40:17 PM

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat