Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Arguing in their sleeping blankets
Question
May 30 2017
11:48:51 PM
We have had Wilbur and Orville for about 2.5 months now, they are neutered and have very different personalities but have always gotten along well. Lately they have been making a noise not quite like crabbing, more like when they are cleaning each other, but louder and they'll go on for ages. It's always in their sleeping blanket (we have ordered pouches but are waiting still for them to arrive), not when they are running around their cage. If I open the cage and lift up the blanket to see them, they just stop still and stare at me, but if I just talk to them from outside the cage or even hiss at them, they only pause for a moment and then go right back to their arguing. Doesn't seem to be fighting--no balling up or hurting each other. More seems like one of them is constantly bugging the other one all day when they should be sleeping.

Any idea why this might be happening?
Question
May 31 2017
12:57:38 AM
HoneyB33 Joey Visit HoneyB33's Photo Album 44 Posts
I would add (we both are owners of these gliders <3 ) that it's definitely an agitated noise. Like when one of them is cleaning the other and starts to say, "Hey, too hard." It's this noise, but now pretty constant with each other. Bickering brothers.
Question
May 31 2017
06:04:54 AM
sh00ter Joey Visit sh00ter's Photo Album 32 Posts
my 2 guys do it too certain days.
make sure there are multiple places to sleep for starters so if one gets annoyed too much he can leave.

if it wakes you up just go over to the pouch lift it up some and tell them to behave , works for me anyway

if its just the tsst sound its fine, that just means leave me alone or get your foot off my face
Question
Jun 01 2017
03:31:58 PM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
I've noticed mine bicker when it's time to go to sleep. They stop after a while. Clearly they are fine with it since none of them leave to the other pouch.

I don't think it's anything to worry about. I only start to worry when they do it durning play time. Usually separating them for the night fixes that.
Question
Jun 11 2017
01:08:17 AM
HoneyB33 Joey Visit HoneyB33's Photo Album 44 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

It's a non stop issue so far. And we're waiting for new bonding pouches, so we can't even separate them during sleep time yet.

We're slowly realizing that it's the one glider. He crawls up under the other glider and bites him. I have no idea what he's doing, but he does it none stop.
Question
Jun 11 2017
01:50:27 AM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
Oh dear. Hopefully it stops when you get more pouches in there.
Question
Jun 11 2017
05:33:38 AM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
Good morning!
Try this: get fleece from Walmart or a fabric store. You can usually get a fleece blanket for about $3 at Walmart and a yard of fleece at a fabric store is around the same price. Cut it into 3"x3" or 4"x4" squares and put several in their sleeping area. Your little fusser might have a burrowing instinct and like having "blankies" he can push around, bite, and nest with. Plus, you can use the leftover fleece in place of a pouch until you get the ones you ordered. And I also agree with Shooter who said they should have multiple places to sleep, so the fleece can help with that as well.
Question
Jun 15 2017
12:38:00 PM
saebetty Starting Member Canada 2 Posts
The burrowing thing might have something to do with it, @Kferg. Wilbur does tend to nip at Orville's tail during playtime though, which he super doesn't like and makes the same sound we hear when they're supposed to be going to sleep. I guess I'm just worried it's something that would escalate, since it wasn't something they used to do and just has ramped up slowly in the past month and a half.

They have, like, four different places to sleep around the cage area, but I've only a handful of times seen them actually sleeping apart. I have seen that if the one leaves and goes to a different place, the other will follow him a minute later.

I just want ma babies to get along!

I think it will be better when the pouches arrive... we ordered them like 8 weeks ago and they still haven't arrived!! (The vender had said 3-4 weeks but when we told him they still haven't come he was basically like "well, i hope you love them when they do!".... #customerservice) Hoping it's soon.
Question
Jun 26 2017
06:52:59 PM
homank Starting Member USA 9 Posts
I've had my 3 gliders for about 3 months now. They've always had multiple sleeping pouches in the cage, but always sleep together. And if it's time to go to sleep or get up at night, there's always some fussing and hissing. They don't ever seem injured and they don't "ball up" in a fight. So I assumed this was somewhat normal and it's just them fussing a little bit.

Maybe a more experienced person can chime in here, but the hissing and fussing hasn't posed a problem for me yet. And it is a daily occurrence.

Cheers,
Keith

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders