Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Fresh Foliage in Cage
Fresh Foliage in Cage
Information
Jun 03 2017
06:43:42 PM
Has anyone used fresh branches in their cages. I live in Texas and have access to fresh uncontaminated trees like Mesquite (of corse would remove thorns) Mamosa, Mulberry, Pecan, Box Wood. Has anyone used any of these and do you leave the foliage on them to play in?
Information
Jun 03 2017
07:46:31 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
Here is a list I found on safe and unsafe wood and plants (flowers)
Safe & Toxic

If you do not see the specific ones you mentioned, I don't recommend using it.
Information
Aug 13 2017
03:19:48 AM
sahana.kargi Joey Visit sahana.kargi's Photo Album 37 Posts
I don't really reccomend using wood in their cages as I don't really see the need. They pee a lot and the wood would just soak up Rhine and smell quite bad. Also, you don't need any wood chews like you would with rodents as gliders do not really chew. In my opinion, there is just no egenfit for using the wood and from expletive, my glider would never use the wood perches. I perched a few bird perched from a pet store, but my little guy never touches them, I Think he wasn't able to get a good grip on them so he just didn't prefer them. He much rather prefers the little fleece braids. If you still want to use the wood, I would reccomend soaking it and then baking it to remove anything harmful inside. Many reptile keepers do this and I'm sure there are tutorials. Just boil some water and stack your stick, then bake it in the oven at a high temperature
Good luck:)
Information
Aug 13 2017
05:00:27 AM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
Actually, some gliders do chew, I for example grew quite tired of fleece pouches that Leo was always destroying in less than a week, so now they have nest boxes (that he also manages to destroy by digging holes in, but at least they last a few months). An interresting observation I made is that he actually uses the strips of wood he chew out to cover the walls inside the colony's main nest, adding eucalyptus leaves to it.. whether it is for insulation purpose or just plain comfort (but then he has fleece squares for that purpose), I'm not sure.

They don't use bird perch, but I noticed that given the choice, mines much prefer branches to climb on and jump from over fleece items (fleece braids here they just unhook them and pull them in their nests nowadays... well at least they use them for something). One positive side to the branches is that it makes a wonderful job at wearing off their nails without me trimming them.
Information
Aug 13 2017
03:45:31 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
I guess you could just use the branches for a short time and then discard them so they don't smell up cage.
Information
Aug 13 2017
07:46:06 PM
ptamom Glider Visit ptamom's Photo Album 145 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Dalinda

Has anyone used fresh branches in their cages. I live in Texas and have access to fresh uncontaminated trees like Mesquite (of corse would remove thorns) Mamosa, Mulberry, Pecan, Box Wood. Has anyone used any of these and do you leave the foliage on them to play in?

Information
Aug 14 2017
12:01:49 AM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
I stick to bamboo, eucalyptus and acacia delbatea personally, they are less prone than others to soak and become smelly too fast.

Stay away from Pecan and Box Wood which are known to be toxic, and I wouldnt trust mulberry either (it's listed as safe for birds, but is known to be toxic to some mammals including humans)
Fresh Foliage in Cage

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Fresh Foliage in Cage