Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
What Could This Be?
What Could This Be?
Health related
Jun 06 2017
02:44:49 AM
Hey, all, this is my first post on the forum. I've had my sugar gliders for about a year now, and have looked at many, many posts for advice and to discover what's normal and what's not.

So, unfortunately, my sugar glider Lucky died from an injury on May 28th. My surviving glider, Mouse (female), seemed to be doing okay until about a day or two ago. I plan to get another glider to keep her company, but I might not be able to for a couple weeks, then of course there's the quarantine time. Anyways, Mouse has been displaying the following odd behaviors for the last few days, and while I plan to take her to the vet, I was just wondering if anyone might have any ideas of what I should have them check for based on the following information:

-She's been sleeping mostly at night, I think, as she's been mostly awake during the day in her pouch around my neck, and she's always sleeping when I come out in the morning. She seems to be a lot less active and playful at night from everything I can see.
-She's gained .2 ounces (not much, but this is the most she's ever weighed.)
-However, the last two nights or so, she's barely eaten. She eats some of the protein blended mix stuff that I give her, and then she'll eat a little bit of apple during the day. Normally, she eats just about all of her food.
-I have noticed a popping sound sometimes when she's awake or when she's sleeping, but it doesn't seem to show any sort of consistency.
-She seems to be pooping and peeing like normal, but there was a little bit of a gooey white discharge on my hand after she went pee tonight. She went pee again a little while later, and there were little white "floaties" in her pee. That I have a picture of as needed. I don't think it smelled particularly pungent, but I also have a bad sense of smell.

I think those are all of the strange behaviors I've noticed for her, and as I mentioned, I will take her to vet. However, I'm hoping maybe someone with more experience than me will have a good idea of what this could/might be so I can make sure she receives the right tests and whatnot.

Anyways, thanks for any help you guys can give me!

Edited by - HurricaneKat on Jun 06 2017 02:56:25 AM
Health related
Jun 06 2017
07:46:47 AM
BennyNace Glider Visit BennyNace's Photo Album 100 Posts
For the abnormal sleeping pattern and change in appetite, this could be her grieving. Gliders can take it hard when their cage mates die, just the same as we do. She could be craving your attention because she is lonely. The popping noise is normal. My gliders do it especially loud when they're sleeping. I call it snoring.

Now, for the pee problem, Im no expert but I don't think that is normal. Does she hiss while she is peeing? She could have a uti. This is what you need to ask your vet about. Tell the vet to test the pee and poo, have them check for uti, and parasites.
Health related
Jun 06 2017
10:14:22 AM
HurricaneKat Starting Member 2 Posts
I was kind of thinking it might be depression, but it's just weird cause it didn't start till about a week after Lucky died. I've been trying to play with her and get her to be active, but it doesn't usually last all that long.

I haven't seen her hiss at all when she goes pee, which is why I was confused about whether or not it could be a UTI. But I scheduled a vet appointment for her today, so hopefully they'll be able to figure it out. Thanks for the advice!
Health related
Jun 13 2017
07:52:56 AM
BennyNace Glider Visit BennyNace's Photo Album 100 Posts
Did you take your baby to the vet yet? Just curious as to how she is doing.
What Could This Be?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
What Could This Be?