Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Fruits and veggies
Fruits and veggies
Food, Diet
Jun 10 2017
06:35:10 PM
How can I get my sugar glider to eat fruits and veggies. He would eat different ones but he has gotten picky. He is a year old. I feed him a frozen cube of the bml diet and a tbsp of fruit and veggies.
Food, Diet
Jun 12 2017
01:40:52 AM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
My glider loves most fruits but getting her to eat veggies is such a challenge. What works best for us is to give her a wide variety of fruits and veggies and see what she tends to go for. Although she's very particular with veggies, this method has taught me that she likes cucumbers and green beans, and occasionally carrots and celery. Sometimes she will let foods sit for awhile but eventually she will explore and experiment. Good luck!
Food, Diet
Jun 12 2017
11:33:09 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
With you feeding Bml, you SHOULDN'T experiment or give a wide range of variety.

Bml has a specific list of fruits n veg that needs to be fed with it and it's strict for a reason.

Are you sure the glider/s aren't eating them ? like with peas, they will only eat the insides and leave the round shell, sometimes you literally have to pick it up and feel if there is anything inside or not. They don't eat the pod of green beans they only eat the middle part of the actual bean and leave the skin and pod behind.
Corn is the same they only eat the middle and leave the shell or skin.

Are you measuring how much fruit n veg you give them? Sometimes I get heavy handed and put to much on the plate, this leads to my gliders not eating as much so I have to measure everything out so I don't over feed.

Also keep in mind, in heat, moon phase, weather, change of seasons etc.. will affect their appetites.
Food, Diet
Jun 12 2017
11:39:01 AM
mcannon29664 Joey Visit mcannon29664's Photo Album 30 Posts
I'm using the burbons modified diet.
Food, Diet
Jun 12 2017
11:48:50 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
yes, so your fruits n veg list is:

peas carrots corn green beans

grapes apples melons blueberries n cherries

To give them variety you can feed

carrots and melon one day
green beans and blueberries the next
corn and cherries the next

and so on. Variety can come from HOW you serve it each day.

Try presenting them differently, if you feed big chunks or whole beans try chopping them, if you chop them try feeding bigger chunks. Play with how you present it will also give them variety and let you see how they eat best. For mine i have to chop everything. My friends gliders likes big chunks...
Food, Diet
Jun 12 2017
12:05:04 PM
He will he corn and cantaloupe from that list and that's it. The other stuff he will eat is sweet potatoes, avacado#8203; and sometimes pineapple.
Food, Diet
Jun 12 2017
12:45:00 PM
avocado is very very high in fat and should only be feed occasionally, fatty foods are very hard on their internal organs and can leave deposits on the eyes and internal organs.

Highly acidic foods like pineapple, oranges etc.. can cause runny poo and also shouldn't be feed to often, used as treats are fine as with avocado.

sweet potatoes need to be cooked. In the raw state they have a protein inhibitor that prevents the body from using the protein intake, it basically all just gets flushed away. Cooking neutralizes the protein inhibitor so if you were feeding it raw please start cooking it, they need to utilize the protein in the diet.

If your not feeding the listed fruits n veg for bml the diet is no longer balanced.

These fruits n veg have been calculated in to the balance, there are vitamins and minerals needed for the diet to be balanced that's why the list is strict. Also most of the veg are high in phosphorous which helps bring the ratio closer to 2:1 without them the ratio is more like 5:1. They are also the only fruits n veg that have been tested with the bml to ensure it's balanced as a complete meal plan.

How long have you been feeding bml?

Edited by - Leela on Jun 12 2017 12:47:05 PM
Food, Diet
Jun 13 2017
07:08:46 PM
I've been feeding the bml for quite sometime. With the fruits and veggies that are listed for the bml diet can I make like a smoothie out of one of each and freeze them like I do the bml and if so what else would I use to make the smoothie?
Food, Diet
Jun 13 2017
07:20:48 PM
Out of the list for the bml diet he will only eat corn, peas and sometimes cantaloupe that's why I wanted to know if I could smoothie them
Food, Diet
Jun 13 2017
07:39:34 PM
no it's not recommended to feed gliders smoothies or fruits n veg that have been pureed or in the blender, no matter what diet they are on.

The reason is it forces them to eat insoluble fiber that they normally don't eat, they spit it out, like the skin on peas and corn and the pods of beans. As I explained before they only eat the middles and leave the skin and pods.

Forcing them to eat insoluble fiber can result in constipation, intestinal blockages and impaction, none of which are fun to try to treat and many gliders have been lost because of it. It's a very heartbreaking, helpless and unnecessary thing to witness
Food, Diet
Jun 15 2017
05:56:55 PM
Ok thanks. So is there a way to get him to eat the other fruits and veggies from that list?
Fruits and veggies

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Fruits and veggies