Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Female Sugar Glider assistance needed.
Question
Jun 13 2017
04:09:29 PM
Hello, I am a young 20 yr old mother of two adorable sugar bears. I've had them for quite sometime now, the female's original owner neglected her and I can't seem to get her warmed up to me. She strikes at my little fur baby Zues when I put him back in the cage. I dont know what's wrong, but I think it has something to do with she dont want to bond with him. They're of separate families and all she does is crab at me and anyone around her. I need some assistance or advice on how to handle her.

*NOTE* She will NOT allow me to pick her up and put her in the pouch without her trying to jump out. She will crawl away or strike at me when I try. I gave her some space in hopes she will get used to me but nothing has worked.
Question
Jun 13 2017
05:05:46 PM
Luiticca Starting Member 3 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Zuesie6396

Hello, I am a young 20 yr old mother of two adorable sugar bears. I've had them for quite sometime now, the female's original owner neglected her and I can't seem to get her warmed up to me. She strikes at my little fur baby Zues when I put him back in the cage. I dont know what's wrong, but I think it has something to do with she dont want to bond with him. They're of separate families and all she does is crab at me and anyone around her. I need some assistance or advice on how to handle her.

*NOTE* She will NOT allow me to pick her up and put her in the pouch without her trying to jump out. She will crawl away or strike at me when I try. I gave her some space in hopes she will get used to me but nothing has worked.

How long have you had the female. Sounds to me like she was not only neglected but abused and that may be where the problem is.
Question
Jun 13 2017
05:29:35 PM
Zuesie6396 Starting Member 2 Posts
I've had her for 3 months now and shes been acting weird. I have to pick her up by hand with a glove on to prevent her from clamping down on my fingers. She bit me yesterday and did not let go while crabbing...
Question
Jun 13 2017
06:54:46 PM
Luiticca Starting Member 3 Posts
What steps are you taking to bond with her.

Do you have a cloth with your scent in their cage, one for each glider?

Thats where I would start. the pouch my gliders sleep in stays on me at night when im watching tv and gliders are playing, and i put a shirt of mine in the cage for them to snuggle with. That way no matter where they sleep they have my scent around them.

has worked wonders.
Question
Jun 17 2017
04:10:49 PM
BennyNace Glider Visit BennyNace's Photo Album 100 Posts
I had bought a female glider named Luna. I kinda felt like the breeder took her from her mommy too quick because she seemed to be extra scared and very aggressive. It took me a very long time to be able to give her a treat without her lunging at it.( she would even crab while eating and almost choke) I think the thing that helped us the most was tent time. When we sat in the tent and after a few times of seeing I wasn't going to eat her,she actually came around. When she finally became friends with Jupiter(she was bought to be a cagemate but was too scared of everything) I think it helped for her to learn from watching Jupiter and I.

So,between tent time, another glider to teach her, and lots of treats, Luna the lunatic became Luna loo. Don't give up :)

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders