GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Two cages in one room
Two cages in one room
Question
Jun 17 2017
07:52:41 PM
Hello!
We are thinking about buying a new house. If we do, we were wondering if we could change our glider arrangements from two cages in two rooms to two cages in one room. The two colonies don't really get along, not that they've been near each other since we separated them like two years ago. But we assume that they would probably still not get along. I would keep a tent in the room for playtime. Thoughts? Would it work if the cages were on opposite sides of the room?
Question
Jun 17 2017
08:08:18 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
Is it possible to do a trial run? My biggest concern would be stress, or if there was an escape and one was aggressive. I believe it could be possible to co-exist in the same room, I've heard of it before.
Question
Jun 17 2017
08:57:37 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
we have 7 gliders in one very large cage and 3 gliders in a standard cage. they are on opposite sides of a 55 in TV/ fireplace.
I could see no problems between the cages. sometimes when out they would look at other cage from my shoulder but never jumped.
My thought is that one tent would be bad, the one colony will smell the other colony scent in it and start marking. then when other colony gets a turn they will start marking it MORE. I think you MIGHT have one smelly tent.
I would suggest getting two tents and putting up one for each colony.

In our basement glider room we let the 3 colony in it to run around, and when the 7 colony had a turn gus went around smelling and rubbing and marking everything.

but I found NO problems with 2 colonies in 2 cages about 10 feet apart.
Question
Jun 17 2017
10:43:30 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
I have 4 cages= 10 gliders in my living room right now. 3 are side by side about a 1.5 feet apart. the 4th is a temp cage on the other side of the room which is maybe 5 feet away.

As long as the cages are at least 12 inches apart you shouldn't have much issue, even if the two colonies didn't or don't get along. Over time they will get used to each others scent and know they share territory, mine did anyway.

If they start showing signs of stress about it try a simple change in cage placement, sometimes moving a cage 4 inches can make a huge difference and settle things back down.

Edited by - Leela on Jun 17 2017 10:47:28 PM
Question
Jun 21 2017
04:48:17 AM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
Thanks everyone! We're only just starting to think about a new house, but the info you gave me will help us make decisions about how many rooms we want.
Plus, I hadn't thought about marking the tent! Good advice.
Thanks!
Question
Jun 21 2017
08:50:25 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
I use the same tent for all of my cages except any fosters I may have.

I only have 2 serious markers and they are my only breeding pair, the female is just as bad if not worse than the male is when it comes to marking everything.

None of my other gliders are bothered by the pairs smell on the tent they just go about climbing and jumping to and from me they don't mark over the pairs markings.

Honestly it's the most funniest thing to watch the 2 mark it up. Tents can be "washed" outside, I've not found it to be a big deal and if you think about it it's not any different than scent swapping to help the gliders get used to each other. I kind of hope they keep it up after Danzig is neutered ( 2 more weeks !!)

Howeverrrrrr, they do poo in the tent, so if one cage has something contagious or parasites you run the risk of spreading it to the other cages if the tent is the only thing shared between cages, just something to keep in mind if you go from one cage to the other like I do.

Edited by - Leela on Jun 21 2017 08:52:56 AM
Two cages in one room

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Two cages in one room