Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Sugar Glider Information
Sugar Glider Information
Information
Jun 19 2017
04:12:45 PM
I'm hopefully getting my first pair of sugar gliders come July. I've done lots of research over the last 6 months and am finding that everyone has different opinions of what's necessary and what's not. I'm also trying to figure out what diet would be best for them. Any information will help as I have no experience with gliders and want to give them the best home possible. Thank you in advance #128522;
Information
Jun 19 2017
05:41:47 PM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
It's true everyone has different opinions because they had different experiences. I am no expert at diets so I will not try to recommend one.

Just remember every glider is different. Some gliders may not like a particular diet or it may not work well for your gliders.

It's ok to test diets out for a while and then#8203; switch until you find your perfect diet for you. Who knows you might get lucky and the first diet you try is the one.

Also no one is perfect. Don't feel like a bad owner if you make a mistake. We all make mistakes. Learn from them.

Have fun with your new babies!
Information
Jun 19 2017
07:28:37 PM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
Lilsistar is absolutely right...every glider is different, with different likes, dislikes, and personalities. This is a great place to come to get input and advice, with many knowledgeable people who are so helpful. I'm far from being an expert, but I'm happy to share my experiences with you.

Most people here agree that BML and HPW (not exotic nutrition though) are 2 of the better and more nutritionally balanced diets out there. Some places offer free samples so you can try them out. In addition, 1 TBS of fruits and 1 TBS of vegetables per glider each day is recommended, in addition to making sure they have fresh water to drink. I prefer a water bottle over dish since it stays cleaner. You just have to make sure it doesn't get clogged. Some people use 2 water bottles for this reason (1 for back up).

Bonding pouches are a great way to keep your little ones close and help them bond to you. Small pieces of non-pill fleece with your scent on them will also help them get used to you.

I've tried various toys but by far their ball pit is a favorite. It's easy to make with a small container and balls and poms poms, or you can purchase one already made. They enjoy swinging vines and ladders, as well as sleeping pouches. Also, an exercise wheel is very important (stealth and raptor are great ones). www.critterlove.com is a wonderful website for food, toys, cages, and pouches. Many bird toys make great sugar glider toys. If it's safe for a baby it's usually safe for a glider. Anything with rope is tricky though, because their nails can get stuck. Fleece is generally considered safer. It's a good idea to check toys for damage. Just recently I discovered a toy that had 2 eyes missing.

My biggest challenge as a glider parent is having one that loves to escape. She is so quick and can disappear in the tiniest places. Therefore, it's a good idea to have a glider proof room for play time and to keep toilet lids down. I've had to block the area under the door because she quickly learned she can crawl underneath. Someone suggested using a bathtub for playtime which worked great at first until she jumped out. So I closed the shower door, thinking that would keep her contained. No such luck....she crawled up the glass door, perched herself on top, then jumped to the counter. I wasn't kidding when I used the word "challenge". . I found a tent which many people use for playtime, but it has 2 openings that I had to tape shut (the zipper didn't reach completely).

Lastly, when I adopted my first glider, they recommended a heat rock. My glider loved it but I learned from this forum and from several exotic vets that they are extremely dangerous. Definitely not worth the risk.

You're wise to do your research and learn all you can. We all started out as beginners and are learning as we go. Gliders are such special creatures and you are in for a treat. They can be challenging at times, but with lots of love, time, and patience, I'm sure you will thoroughly enjoy your babies!
Sugar Glider Information

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Sugar Glider Information