Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Sugar Glider over dosing--what do I do?
Health related
Jun 19 2017
10:06:33 PM
Long story long, I have an antibiotic that I JUST got for my glider, and now I think the pharmacist gave me the wrong amount--telling me to give him 2ml/mg, when really I was suppose to give him .02ml/mg (as other ppl on here have said). F**K! I can't get ahold of the vet--since everyone has gone home (small secluded town). I need to know if there is any ways to make these guys throw up? Maybe I'm wrong and this is the right amount, but I don't want to wait till tomorrow to find out. Anyone have any suggestions?
Health related
Jun 19 2017
10:17:58 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
he may get some runny poo, make sure he stays hydrated
Health related
Jun 20 2017
12:49:57 AM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
I was reading your other thread as well and I find this so confusing. I did some searching online and found multiple answers. I would try to call a 24 hour pharmacy or hospital and see if they can help with the conversion. In the meantime, I would probably air on the side of caution and give the minimum amount, then call the vet first thing in the morning. I'm giving my glider an antibiotic as well and when I get home in a half hour I can follow up with what the dose is and if there's any info. about converting.
Health related
Jun 20 2017
02:26:09 AM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
Hi again,

I certainly don't want to add to the confusion but I promised I'd get back to you. Unfortunately I haven't figured out how to post pictures here but I was looking at the syringes we have and they are .3 ml/30 units which are different (smaller) than yours. I was wondering if the dose depended on the syringe size. Anyway, I'm giving my glider enrofloxacin (.03 ml) and metronidazole (.02 ml). I don't see anything about mg. but I would agree that .2 sounds like a lot and the standard seems to be around .02 like you mentioned.

I mentioned syringe size because of something that happened awhile back. My dad went to the pharmacy to get refills of insulin and syringes. His blood sugar was out of control and his doctor kept prescribing more insulin. Thankfully, another doctor made the discovery that the pharmacy gave him the wrong syringes, so he wasn't getting the amount of insulin he was supposed to. Unfortunately mistakes happen. Hopefully not in your case and your vet will be able to clarify the amount very soon.
Health related
Jun 20 2017
09:11:07 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
good catch Tiakristen it was late last night I thought hers was just closer to the camera bigger, I just re looked at my syringe n compared it to hers. My entire syringe is 1ML at it's fullest. i was focused on the bottom end and where my doses are.

so my .02 wouldn't be the same. My apologies for not catching it, I would def be calling n finding out and raising a little H$ll that they weren't clear about it, 2 ml would be 2 full syringes for me.

How's he doing this morning??
Health related
Jun 20 2017
09:26:31 AM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
The problem is that the volume to give depends on the concentration of the solution (which might be different depending on the presentation...), in clear, how many mg of active product there is in 1ml of solution, those are informations that you need to know in order to give the right amount.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders