Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Help! Recolonizing my amputatee they are attacking her 😿
Health related
Jun 23 2017
12:48:19 PM
2 weeks ago my only female sugar glider got her foot stuck in her bedding she twisted and cut off circulation to her foot (back right) they ended up amputating her leg leaving half of her femur and padded it with the remaining muscle ... today she was given the okay to rejoin her mate and two children (all males, all fixed) the vet said it has healed beautifully and while not all the fur is back enough has regrown enough .... she was excited and glided straight into the pouch they were all sleeping in ... they started attacking her they bit her numb, her good leg and the back of her neck ... she even bit me while I was getting them off of her ... she seems dishearten and so am I ... I don't know what to do it seems like she wants to be with them and normal again and they want nothing to do with her

While she was recovering, they seemed to be saddened without her so I would do short visits with them individually and they were gentle while in my hands but today I was shocked never have any of them ever been aggressive toward each other or me ... they have always been a very loving colony ...

Will they reject her forever?

Thanks for your time, support and advice.
Health related
Jun 23 2017
07:23:58 PM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
I can understand your concern and sadness about this. I find it heartbreaking as well. I'm guessing your males sense something different about her and maybe they're scared. They're probably all stressing out. I would give them a little more time to get used to each other, while having controlled re-introductions in the meantime. It's sweet that she was so excited to see them again and it's a good sign that they're gentle while in your hands. Your vet may also have some advice on how to handle this situation. Hopefully, with more time, they will be able to be all together once again. Wishing you all the best!
Health related
Jun 25 2017
02:18:00 PM
HoneyB33 Joey Visit HoneyB33's Photo Album 44 Posts
That's so sad :( Any progress so far?

I would suggest trying to divide the cage up, or place two next to each other--that way they can all see and smell each other for awhile.

Sugar gliders go crazy on any glider that's not 100%. Mine is STILL messing with my glider that was sick. I have a critter nation cage, so I just put the middle grate back in, and covered the hole in it. That way they can both see each other, smell one another, etc. Until my boy is healthy though, they'll have to stay apart.

Maybe try keeping them near each other for a week--giving extra love to your girl. And then slowly try to introduce her to one of the boys. Whoever does best with her, maybe try to put him in the cage with her, and slowly go about things that way (introducing one at a time).

I would say that at least if you could get one to be ok with her, that would be a good start. They would at least be a bonded pair, and that would be some really good progress.

Edited by - HoneyB33 on Jun 25 2017 02:21:01 PM
Health related
Jun 26 2017
02:13:00 AM
ProudMommy Starting Member ProudMommy's Journal 3 Posts
I have the Critter Nation cage as well and that's exactly what I did! I am also switching their blankets, so they can smell each other. I put her on the top so just in case they tried to grab her through the grate (where the opening usually is I just raised the ramp I don't have the middle piece) she could get away faster versus being upside down. They seem to be sniffing each other but not being aggressive. My older glider, her 'spouse', is still kinda of ignoring her. The boys are happy to see their Momma. She is loving, I mean loving having half the cage to herself lol. She was cooped up in a travel mesh carrier for the last 2 weeks or in a pouch being constantly monitored by me or my son. When I feed them she gives me loves and hops away.
They don't seem to be stressed out. Although I am not really sure what a stressed out sugar glider looks like? All of my gliders are still very social and loving and their eating habits and activity levels haven't changed. The only difference they are more vocal, she is doing a spit hiss squeak noise I've really never heard before ... any ideas what that means? (usually they are super quiet) I have decided to keep her separate from them until her fur has completely grown back and I plan slowing reintroduce doing one on one visitations with my supervision.
Thanks for the support guys I really appreciate it.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders